• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Finally...another Marantz 1150!

clarkejw

New Member
I have just bought a Marantz 1150, to scratch an itch I've had for 25 years, ever since I was told that my previous 1150 was toast, (because it was scratchy in the right channel) and they'd "dispose of it for me"
Needless to say, that brought howls of anguish from the reputable audio tech to whom I told the story!
Anyway, I've just bought this one, for a good price. It's in excellent condition, but hasn't had a thing done to it in its lifetime. At the moment everything works, but my question is, knowing its age, should I get it recapped immediately, or put it into an excellent technical facility, and just have it have it checked out?
My feeling is that a forty-plus-year-old-amp could go at any moment, and cap kits aren't very expensive. Any advice would be miost welcome!
I might add that this has been prompted by my previous 1150's replacement, a NADC C370 dropping a right channel, so I'll get that thoroughly looked through as well, but when you get an excuse.....
 
Register to hide this ad
but my question is, knowing its age, should I get it recapped immediately, or put it into an excellent technical facility, and just have it have it checked out?
Six say to get it tested and then just enjoy it.
Half a dozen say get it recapped.

your unit, your call.

Quiet doesn't recap since he is buying up the middle-powered units and just using them. One dies out it goes and in comes a different vintage middle-power unit.

CohibaJoe brings in a nice unit and then goes about a rebuild.

Different strokes for different folks. Do what you are comfortable with and enjoy more.
 
Back
Top Bottom