• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Finally found the time to recap the B-2102.

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
Subscriber
It was about time. This thing has been sitting around waiting for this for a while.
The corrosive glue was eating away at the leads of components.

I did not replace the big main caps or the ones on the meter board, but the rest went.

Eventually it will make its way into the family room to be compared to the AU-719. The B-2102 and C-2101 will have to sound significantly better to take the place of the AU-719. I like the looks and feel of the AU-719 better.

The caps.
100_2374.jpg


Rob
 
Register to hide this ad
can you tell any differance?
Casey

Only when I look inside. The new caps are so much smaller.

Sounds the same to me. I had tested it with the L100's before and after.
It was so long between, that I could not tell you. It sounded great before.
I believe all of the caps were still good, but they had broken loose from the glue (could be from the lousy pack job and getting thrown around by the shipping company) and the glue was eating away at things.

I think the "sound" comes from the preamp.:yes: I will not recap it. I have hooked it up to a few receivers preamp in, and every one sounded better with the C-2101.

More pics? I take some more in a bit.:yes:

Rob
 
Really?
When I recapped my long gone down the road b2101 I saw a HUGE difference after a few hours burn/break in.
Also seemed like I had more caps in the replace pile but, I went through front to back.
There's a lot of small caps under the front panel
I'm surprised you hear no difference! it woke mine up!
don't think I have pictures anymore.

How many hours have you run it since recap?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18818&highlight=b2101

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34398&highlight=b2101

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102349&highlight=b2101

couple of old threads I'm sure pictures were lost several servers ago...


tal
 
Really?

How many hours have you run it since recap?

Really. Like I said, I don't think the caps are bad. I have done total recaps on quite a few pieces and only heard a difference in one.

I have about 15 minutes of play time.

The debate on cap break in could continue, but not with me. The manufacturer specs them and doesn't say "after 48 hours of burn in".

I don't think they could change enough for me to hear the difference.

Back in the old days caps had to be formed. New caps don't, though some may argue.

I put a lot of hours on a fully recapped AU-555a and never noticed a change.

Anyways, that's just me. Others results may vary.:yes:

Here are some pics. The first is a before, the others are after.

100_1870.jpg


100_2384.jpg


100_2383.jpg


100_2382.jpg


Rob
 
Are those Nichicons?

I'm currently re-capping my QRX-6500 with Nichicons. Why didn't you replace the main filter caps?

Looks good Rob!!!
 
Are those Nichicons?

I'm currently re-capping my QRX-6500 with Nichicons. Why didn't you replace the main filter caps?

Looks good Rob!!!

It was so long ago that I ordered them, I don't remember. I tried to get Panasonic, but they may be Nichicons.

I did not replace the filter caps because they are fine. I wouldn't have recapped it at all, except the glue was out of hand.:yes:

Rob
 
And as an added bonus - the re-capping seems to have removed the camera shake :D

But seriously - it is looking good now, good job Rob !

John
 
Back
Top Bottom