• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Finally pulled the trigger, getting my feet wet with an ARC LS3!

240sx4u

Lunatic Member
Super excited about this, paid for it today and it should be here on or by Thursday! I took Thursday off to watch my son while my wife goes to a water park with my niece and sister in law. Perfect!

I had to share. Silver ARC LS3 preamp. Never tried any Audio Research gear before so I am super excited. I have admired it ever since I saw it new in the stores where my dad shopped when I was about 11. :banana:

I am going to put this pre headsup against my Lazarus preamp. It's tough competition. I may move up the arc ladder if it turns out to be something I really enjoy. It will be paired with an Edge M8 amp and Thiel CS3.6's (thanks again Retro).

Evan
 
Register to hide this ad
Congratulations! I hope it will live up to your expectations. I bought one of these units (silver as yours) a couple of years ago and never thought again in buying another preamp. It´s the most transparent gear I´ve ever had.

PS: http://www.arcdb.ws/LS3/LS3.html

PS2: the "direct" switch is an amazing feature. I use it to feed my new Astin Trew CDP in there and the result is incredible.
 
Last edited:
actually, I was thinking about an arc when I stumbled into my CJ. I hope it has the same synergy with your system that my preamp has. It was the addition to my system that opened my eyes about what sound stage and depth is really all about. I used to always say it was just the preamp, but someone opened my eyes to how it was everything working together, not just one piece.
But, for me, a decent preamp sure opened my eyes and I hope you have as much success with yours, which I am guessing you probably will. If you do, be prepared to start getting pretty finicky with your recordings for any serious listening session....because when it is good, it's almost magical. I still get carried away and a half hour listening session easily turns into an hour.
I think at first I may have worried a little too much about the sound stage, but after reading about it for so long, was the 1st time I ever thought I actually had it. I still get a tad critical on many recordings, wondering why they put the snare drum on the other side of the stage etc etc....
Here's to hoping it is as magical for you as a decent preamp was to me.
 
Last edited:
Things are already kind of finicky like that honestly. I am running with no preamp at all right now, so I am not sure what to expect. My system did sound better with the lazarus in place but I have not had a preamp connected while owning the Thiels.

Thank you for your input.
 
Evan, possibly for future consideration. I have found that pres using the bigger octal tubes such as the wonderful sounding 6SN7GT have a quieter noise floor and smoother overall response. This is in comparison to several 12ax7, 12at7 and 6DJ8 pres that I have. You may have just the same findings. Thought I might save you a little time and $$. :D This is MY opinion of course. Cary tube pres are wonderful!
 
You're gonna really like it. They're very accurate with solid sound staging. You'll wonder why you've waited all this time, I'm sure. Have had the LS-3 and the LS-8 in the past. Play around with the Direct switch, too.

Cheers,

David
 
Evan, possibly for future consideration. I have found that pres using the bigger octal tubes such as the wonderful sounding 6SN7GT have a quieter noise floor and smoother overall response. This is in comparison to several 12ax7, 12at7 and 6DJ8 pres that I have. You may have just the same findings. Thought I might save you a little time and $$. :D This is MY opinion of course. Cary tube pres are wonderful!

I appreciate the input. The LS-3 is a solid state preamp :)
 
You know that we expect to hear some early thoughts Thursday evening. I'm a long time ARC preamp user. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion.
 
Next time you are in town and have a free moment (which I totally understand, is unlikely) you are welcome to stop by to form your own opinion!
 
Back
Top Bottom