• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First DIY turntable isolation platform

Luis.correia

Well-Known Member
Hi guys.

Thinking of building my DYI isolation platform. Thinking about an MDF board with 20mm tick, and 4 vobrapods beneath.

Are the vibrapods worth it? They are not very cheap, compared with someting like IsolateIT Sorbothane Hemisphere's.

Do vibrapods or vibracones work better?

Any other recommendations?

The turntable will sit on the top shelve of my DYI Flexy Rack.

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi
I haven't got the room for a sand box which work very well. So I made my platforms out of MDF but I used damping panel's on the under side which works really well.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 90
The vibrapod shelf works great in some applications. I had a Yamaha DD table with poor quality feet and the common plastic resin base. The vibrapods with MDF shelf did a great job. I have also used the sorbothane hemispheres and/or pads for under my electronics.

When you use these products take care if you put them directly on nice wood furniture as they tend to bleed into the wood. I set them on thin pieces of cork, cut from a sheet, to specifically match their footprint.
 
Hi guys.

Thinking of building my DYI isolation platform. Thinking about an MDF board with 20mm tick, and 4 vobrapods beneath.

Are the vibrapods worth it? They are not very cheap, compared with someting like IsolateIT Sorbothane Hemisphere's.

Do vibrapods or vibracones work better?

Any other recommendations?

The turntable will sit on the top shelve of my DYI Flexy Rack.

Thanks.


You will need 5 vibrapods- one goes to center. Othewise platform will likely ring.

I also suggest to think about platform hanging on wires at four corners- that seems to be most promising design. Commercial stand of that kind is sold for about $10K.
 
Minimum 30mm stone on sand or mybe on air..

WEB_Image%20Tennisball%20Funny%20Tour%20niv%C3%A5%201%20(4%20stk)%20Let-1721558282.Jpeg



8935547699230.jpg
 
I have used a few of these kinds of products over the years under turntables. They will change the sound, but its not necessarily an improvement. If you are able to DIY one, the sand box is the best option. You can even store the sand in heavy duty plastic bags and keep things neat that way. Others have used things like rice grains well also.

Now a turntable I had from Townshend used an air bladder for internal isolation, and it worked very well. That could be an option to replace the sand in a DIY isolation box. Just putting a half filled tube under a slab of MDF is a tough balancing act to keep the table level.

Good luck with your project!

Regards
Mister Pig
 
I ordered some refillable icepacks http://www.ebay.com/itm/252054891921?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT that I'm going to fill with sand and put them in an isolation box for my DD table. The icepacks will be cleaner than just filling the box with sand and there will be less consolidation of the sand due to the weight of the TT, humidity, etc. Also, a simple squeeze of the sandbags every once in awhile will make sure the sand is working to dissipate vibrations as heat. The sandbox will replace some 25 to 30-year old rubber isolation feet that may or may not have reached their useful life.
 
The sand box seems a lot more work. I will I construct a box?

You do not need a Box, just a "pillow" or so and then put the Heavy stone on top of it. Or you couls do as I just did, use some kind of foam like my 1" yoga-mat. Absolutely no woofer-movement ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom