• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First MC Cartridge > Purchase New or Re-Tip Monster Cable Alpha 1?

I recently purchased a Denon DP 62L TT with a Monster Cable Alpha 1 cartridge that has a missing cantilever.

I have never had or owned a MC cartridge so I need some advise. Should I have this cartridge re-tipped, or opt for a $300-500 new "entry level" MC cartridge or pass altogether? Will a MC cartridge really improve my listening based on my main system listed below? I see that Sound Smith can re-tip for $200, $299 an $350 or more. I see that the Monster cartridge was well received back in the 80's being designed Count H. Nakatuka.

I've been into audio for 30 years+ and have followed audio equipment & reviews, worked in radio broadcasting, and currently use Stanton 681EEE, Signet 5.0ME & various Shure M91, 95, 97 variants on various vintage systems. Sansui / Yamaha / Marantz receivers; BA / ADS / Snell / JBL / Theil Speakers; Thorens / Technics / Denon / Dual / AR / Pioneer TT's. Had purchased a Ortofon 2M Red and did not like it at all.....Sibilance & IGD, it did not sound natural, heavy low end & unnatural mid's. Could not get it to sound right despite numerous attempts. Also bought a Shure M97ED, it is ok, prefer the sound of vintage Shure M91 & M95 & M97. Have Technics SP 10 w/ Grace tonearm with Stanton 681EEE on it as well.

My main system for the last 25 years has been Snell A's with SAE A501 Amp & Adcom GFT1A Preamp, Thorens TD 318 TT & Signet 5,0ME Cartridge (Similar to Audio Technica signature sound). A Thorens TD 160 has a Shure M91 to play older records. The system is extremely revealing and I can tell the cart difference on this system. Would a MC be a good move here?

Should I take the plunge into a MC cart? Thanks for any comments!!
 
Register to hide this ad
If your're curious, the only way to find out is try one.

I went through some MC's when I had wholesale access to cartridges and got them at or below dealer cost but overall, I preferred MM. To me, MC struck me as being in their element with upper frequencies but insubstantial with lower frequencies. Plus none of the MC's I did own had user replaceable styli which made me a bit apprehensive using them. Maybe there was some sonic benefit (real or imagined) but if so, it was not significant enough or occur often enough to create anything more than a casual interest in me.

Others are firmly enough in the MC camp to justify their expense and maintenance. If I was blessed with generous disposable income, I could see myself having representatives of both types, mounted and ready to go at whatever whim strikes me. But that was/is not the case so I do quite fine with multiple choices of MM - MI as well.
 
Which Grace tonearm? I used an Accuphase AC-2 on a G-714 in the early 80s.

I guess I’ll offer the counterpoint opinion. I find the overall transparency superior to any MM I’ve tried (Shure/ Ortofon/Grace/Sonus/Grado).

Soundsmith does a great job. I had a Shinon Red retipped a while back. Having said that, I would likely try a new one.
 
Have the Monster re-tipped, and don't go the cheapest route. That cart is not all that "common", and is worth the investment. SS did an awesome job with my Dynavector 23K RS.
 
Been there done that too ..
In my experience the MC's were more transparent, but you'll only hear it when the upstream components can resolve it.
If you were listening to tubes, a really fine tonearm and planars it would be a go for it ..
But I'm a cheapskate and you're already listening to some good MM cartridges ...
From what you said about the Ortofon (which I've owned and liked) I would guess that you might be wasting your money..
IMHO .. FWIW ..
(oh forgot to mention that I've owned most of the cartridges you mentioned at some point..
You only left the Shure V15 out of the list))
 
Last edited:
Also keep in mind you need a proper phono stage for MC cart.
This is the biggest step to a good sounding MC set-up.
For myself I was not satisfied until I got a SUT.
Now you are getting into a larger investment then first planed on.
 
15431611933016317638482606056913.jpg 15431608326715139954921629243816.jpg The knock on the Alpha 1 is it sounds etchy or metallic in the upper registers. The Monster cartridge worth seeking out is the Sigma Genesis 2000 which is one of the best MC of its day and can give some high end cartridges of today a run for its money. The Sigma Genesis 2000 was referred to as The Poorman's Rosewood.
 
Last edited:
Until you get to the higher end moving coils and your system able to resolve the difference its probably not worth it. There's are some very very nice MM and MI carts available
 
Back
Top Bottom