• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First Setup - Technics 1600MK2 + Sansui 5000a

ontheroad303

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey all -

Been lurking on the forums for the past 2 weeks and have finally come across a few deals that I'm thinking of taking advantage of for my first system. Details on each below.

Technics SL-1600 MKII - found one for less than $300 in very good physical condition, but a couple small things need to be fixed internally. Big question - 33 speed works fine, 45 doesn't work - the seller thinks it might need a diode repair, but I'm not sure how complex that'd be to fix, any thoughts?

Sansui 5000a - found one for a good price ($160), going to check it out this week - looks like it's in great condition based on the pictures (probably original owner). I've read that there may be an issue with some older boards that may be prone to fires - what does fixing/replacing those boards entail?

And if anyone is feeling really generous, looking for a decent set of speakers that'll pair nicely with these for around $150. I was looking at some Dynaco A25's, but definitely open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Ontheroad
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome aboard! Only lurking for 2 weeks and already logging some comments, that is GREAT! Some have been known to lurk for years before engaging. :thumbsup:

Cannot comment on your specific questions, but it will help us all assist you if you can add your location to your profile. Given your profile name though, you might be able to cast a wide net.
 
The 5000a is a fine unit with a tube-like sound; with A25s it would be as smooth as butter.

The problem I see with a lot of Technics tables of that line is that they get pressed into amateur DJ service, and get packed and unpacked repeatedly and treated like a rental car.
 
Great - I'm going to try and check out the 5000 tomorrow and get on the search for some A25's.

As for the 1600, any thoughts on initial price + price of repairs = good deal?
 
$300 is high for a 1600 mk2 with issues. Speed problem is not the worst and is likely fixable but the cost of tech service will not be cheap. Check cue functions and also check tone arm traverse. If the tone arm jumps or binds during play, the dreaded nylon drive gear is cracked which is a no go.
 
I've read that there may be an issue with some older boards that may be prone to fires - what does fixing/replacing those boards entail?

You may have noticed that there is a Sansui section here. Those guys know a ton but many don't come to D&S. If you don't talk value, you can start a thread there about the repair and I'm certain you will get good input.
 
Do a search for 5000a 1040 boards

The original amp driver boards were called 1040 and they were recalled and replaced with F-6013.

If you have F-6013 boards you're good; if you have the 1040 boards but the unit is still working I believe there are some modifications that can be made to make them safe, although I don't remember the details - hopefully this is enough info that you can find what you need with those keywords.
 
Grabbed the 5000a this afternoon, but couldn't quite tell what boards were inside. Decided I'd take it off his hands anyway since it was in such great physical condition and figure out the rest later.

Walked outside where the light was much better and noticed "F-6013" through the vents on top. Day made.

I got a quote on repairs for the 1600Mk2 - around $80-100 from a trusted local shop. Haven't seen many of these around my area, but can't quite decide whether to pull the trigger or not.

Thanks to all of you for helping a newb with his first setup!
 
Winning. 5000a with the updated driver boards should be a nice unit. I have a contemporary 2000a in the kitchen driving some EPI 100s and it's a lovely unit.

I did have to replace some of the noisy transistors on the amp driver boards and the tone board but since then it's been an Old Faithful Friend.
 
Excited to get this 5000a cleaned up and dusted off - thing looks beautiful and (I think) all the bulbs are still good.

As for the MKII - I'm feeling like the unit is in excellent condition, but it's a bit too steep price wise for my liking (~$400 all in w/ repairs). The current thought is to find a 1600/1700 MKI for a decent price and wait for a good deal to come around on an MKII.

Thoughts from some wiser folks?
 
Last edited:
If the table were $50 I'd tell you to not worry about it not playing 45s. The asking price is way too high for a defective unit.
 
Already working on the last one and the 1700 you pointed out - thank you kindly, mr. marshan!

You got some good suggestions there. At this price point -- 200-400 -- there's not much difference in performance specs. All those suggested are solid. Get a table on the lower price side and put the extra money into the cartridge. That's a whole different game. There is a thread over on the turntables about "budget" cartridges. Search for it and it will give you a good primer on the cartridge world.
 
Back
Top Bottom