• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First time Vintage receiver and speakers owner dealing with humming

sabalennon

New Member
I have recently bought a vintage Miidas 3125 AM/FM stereo Receiver and a pair of Wharfedale Speakers. I have the receiver connecter to two pairs of speakers, the Wharfedale ones and a couple of dayton b652s air that I had. They overall sound great and the receiver is working nicely. However, there is a slight humming coming from all of the speakers that happens as soon as I turn the receiver on. It doesn't get any louder when I turn the volume up or lower when I set it to zero, and it's there in all settings(phono, aux, fm, am) I have tried unplugging it and using different outlets and unplugging everything but the speakers. The humming is not very loud at all, but it's listenable when things are quiet, which is a slight annoyance. Is the humming normal? or is there an issue with the receiver? Thank you for your help.
 
Register to hide this ad
Very likely you need some new capacitors. Low level hum is a common sign. If you are handy you might be able to do it with help from this forum.
Thank you. I have read around that that might be the issue. I don't know if I trust my hands as much as to play around with such equipment. I'm hesitant, I could try, but I'm hesitant. If I take it for repair, how much do you think it would cost me? what would be a fair price?
 
First, are you sure the hum is coming thru the speakers and not directly from the receiver?

If so, what other components are connected to the receiver? Turntable? CD Player? Etc. Does it do it with all input components?

What else is on the electrical circuit? Fluorescent lamps? Fish tanks? Appliances? Incandescent and/or LED bulbs?

Does it do it with only one pair of speakers connected?

Do you have a digital multimeter? If so, it will be a good idea to check for DC voltage on the speaker terminals. Easy to do, and I would be glad to walk you through it.
 
Thank you. I have read around that that might be the issue. I don't know if I trust my hands as much as to play around with such equipment. I'm hesitant, I could try, but I'm hesitant. If I take it for repair, how much do you think it would cost me? what would be a fair price?


Most shops charge a minimum fee of $75-100 or more for diagnosis. They then give you a quote for the repair, and apply the fee to necessary repairs. You might get out the door for $150...probably not much less.
 
Last edited:
First, are you sure the hum is coming thru the speakers and not directly from the receiver?

If so, what other components are connected to the receiver? Turntable? CD Player? Etc. Does it do it with all input components?

What else is on the electrical circuit? Fluorescent lamps? Fish tanks? Appliances? Incandescent and/or LED bulbs?

Does it do it with only one pair of speakers connected?

Do you have a digital multimeter? If so, it will be a good idea to check for DC voltage on the speaker terminals. Easy to do, and I would be glad to walk you through it.

Thank you so much for the help.
Yes, I think the hum is coming from the speakers, it's very clear when I put my ear close to the speakers.
I have an aux cord and a turntable connected to it. But the humming persists when those are disconnected as well, happens with all inputs.
I have a wall plug adapter where I connect my Turntable, the receiver and some strip led lights. I have tried changing plugs, and plugging it directly to the wall, no luck.

It still hums when only one pair of speakers is connected.

I currently don't own a digital multimeter, sorry.
Again thank you so much for the help!
 
And a variety of other things as well!

Without a meter you are limited in troubleshooting. Is there a fluorescent fixture on same circuit? If so, turn it off. Any change?

Disconnect turntable and aux cable. Turn receiver to Aux, volume at zero. Can you still hear hum in speakers? If so, does it get louder when you turn up volume?

Run a wire from phono ground to a cold water pipe or, if your electrical outlet has separate ground, run it to faceplate screw.

Any change? Pull it from phono ground and touch it to metal case of the receiver...ideally an unpainted spot. Any change?
 
Last edited:
And a variety of other things as well!

Without a meter you are limited in troubleshooting. Is there a fluorescent fixture on same circuit? If so, turn it off. Any change?

Disconnect turntable and aux cable. Turn receiver to Aux, volume at zero. Can you still hear hum in speakers? If so, does it get louder when you turn up volume?

Run a wire from phono ground to a cold water pipe or, if your electrical outlet has separate ground, run it to faceplate screw.

Any change? Pull it from phono ground and touch it to metal case of the receiver...ideally an unpainted spot. Any change?

Interesting. I disconnected the aux and the turntable and noticed that the humming is still there when volume is zero but also does get louder when the receiver is turned to aux and I turn the volume up. This made me try changing it to fm mute and find an empty/silent station and turn the volume up, the humming got louder. Tried the same thing with the phono input, and got a different sound (along with the humming I think) more like a "shh", like warm white noise, it gets louder as well.
Regarding tinkering with phono ground. I am really sorry but I don't think I follow entirely. I know phono ground is the screw next to the phono input, so should I attach a speaker wire to it and touch a plastic pipe with the other end? Not sure what separate ground looks like or what faceplate screw is either.

Thank you again and sorry for my lack of knowledge!
 
Last edited:
Yes, phono ground to a METAL cold water pipe if one is nearby.

Electrical outlets have faceplates. They are held on with a single screw. If your outlets have 3 slots, they are grounded. So, run wire from phono ground screw to the faceplate screw. Just loosen the screw enough to get wire behind/around it. Do not remove the faceplate.
 
You likely have either an internal grounding issue in the receiver, or a problem in its internal power supply. The white noise on phono is normal with high volume on a unit like yours, but if excessive may suggest a noisy transistor in its phono section.

It sounds as if you don't have much choice other than to find a competent tech if you want to get it fixed.
 
It could be filter caps. But that is not a given. I hate to tell people to start soldering things unless they understand that their soldering skills matter and there is a possibility that they could mess something up with a poor solder. Also capacitors can be tested.

It also sounds like there might be more issues as well, such as a bad transistor as spark1 suggests.

I recently "ripped into" an amp that was not functioning properly but I bought that for cheap and it was listed "for parts or repair" so I knew it was a gamble going into it. Still need to solder that one back together...
 
Yes, phono ground to a METAL cold water pipe if one is nearby.

Electrical outlets have faceplates. They are held on with a single screw. If your outlets have 3 slots, they are grounded. So, run wire from phono ground screw to the faceplate screw. Just loosen the screw enough to get wire behind/around it. Do not remove the faceplate.
Currently don't have a metal water pipe nearby, I could try and get one but should they be installed? Can any other metal bar do? I have metal tubes from weights.

I have tried wiring to the faceplate screw but noticed no difference. my outlets have two slots though, so I don't know if that had to do with it.
 
You likely have either an internal grounding issue in the receiver, or a problem in its internal power supply. The white noise on phono is normal with high volume on a unit like yours, but if excessive may suggest a noisy transistor in its phono section.

It sounds as if you don't have much choice other than to find a competent tech if you want to get it fixed.
Thank you. I have tried but currently don't have the money to afford the fix. I might keep it for a while like that while I save for fixing it. If I wait, would the receiver work any worse? Is it something that should be fixed right away or it can wait for some months?
 
It could be filter caps. But that is not a given. I hate to tell people to start soldering things unless they understand that their soldering skills matter and there is a possibility that they could mess something up with a poor solder. Also capacitors can be tested.

It also sounds like there might be more issues as well, such as a bad transistor as spark1 suggests.

I recently "ripped into" an amp that was not functioning properly but I bought that for cheap and it was listed "for parts or repair" so I knew it was a gamble going into it. Still need to solder that one back together...
Thank you for your input. It has been so great to post here since I felt like I learned quite a bit. This one, to my understanding, is very old. and I got the whole set for cheap too. It's my first time owning vintage equipment and I really liked it, the sound was very different and the experience itself was, as well.

I just don't have that much experience with soldering. I have helped my brother fixed his electric guitars by changing some parts that needed soldering, but that's pretty much it. I will definitely try to get better at it though.

Thank you all for your help so far!
 
No. The idea is to get the wire to ground. The cold water pipes into your building are connected to a ground rod which goes 3-4 feet into the earth.

It sounds as if your home does not have separately grounded electrical wiring (I assume you live in the US). So your outlets don't have a separate ground, and therefore the faceplate screw (which is screwed into the body of the outlet) will not serve the purpose.

I can't answer regarding whether problem will get worse, since I don't know what the problem is. Personally, I would not put much money into that receiver, unless you want to learn how to do basic repairs yourself...which is a significant undertaking, and would require, at minimum:

  • Time spent learning basic electronics
  • A multimeter
  • A soldering tool and associated materials (solder, desoldering braid, etc)
  • Parts (after diagnosing the problem)

Some folks with basic soldering skills will just start putting new parts in, hoping that they are lucky enough to replace the correct ones. Often referred to as "shotgunning" the problem. Opinions vary, of course, but I don't think that's an effective approach.

The one other thing you might do is open up the unit and assure that any internal grounding points are good (secure, not corroded, with good connectivity). I looked for a schematic for that unit, but could not find one...so cannot guide you as to where those points are. Also, upon opening it up, you could take good pics of the internal boards and wiring and post them. This would allow me/others to at least look for obvious failure signs (leaking capacitors, burned resistors, etc). However, failures/faults often show no visible evidence.

If you had the skills and wanted to try the shotgun approach, the place to start would be a rebuild of the power supply and filter cap(s). Probably $20 in parts, plus all of the soldering materials (plus the skills to remove the old parts and put the new ones in).

One other question...do you get any sense of shock or tingling when touching metal cabinet, knobs, etc?
 
No. The idea is to get the wire to ground. The cold water pipes into your building are connected to a ground rod which goes 3-4 feet into the earth.

It sounds as if your home does not have separately grounded electrical wiring (I assume you live in the US). So your outlets don't have a separate ground, and therefore the faceplate screw (which is screwed into the body of the outlet) will not serve the purpose.

I can't answer regarding whether problem will get worse, since I don't know what the problem is. Personally, I would not put much money into that receiver, unless you want to learn how to do basic repairs yourself...which is a significant undertaking, and would require, at minimum:

  • Time spent learning basic electronics
  • A multimeter
  • A soldering tool and associated materials (solder, desoldering braid, etc)
  • Parts (after diagnosing the problem)

Some folks with basic soldering skills will just start putting new parts in, hoping that they are lucky enough to replace the correct ones. Often referred to as "shotgunning" the problem. Opinions vary, of course, but I don't think that's an effective approach.

The one other thing you might do is open up the unit and assure that any internal grounding points are good (secure, not corroded, with good connectivity). I looked for a schematic for that unit, but could not find one...so cannot guide you as to where those points are. Also, upon opening it up, you could take good pics of the internal boards and wiring and post them. This would allow me/others to at least look for obvious failure signs (leaking capacitors, burned resistors, etc). However, failures/faults often show no visible evidence.

If you had the skills and wanted to try the shotgun approach, the place to start would be a rebuild of the power supply and filter cap(s). Probably $20 in parts, plus all of the soldering materials (plus the skills to remove the old parts and put the new ones in).

One other question...do you get any sense of shock or tingling when touching metal cabinet, knobs, etc?
I do live in the US, yes. I will try and open it to send pictures but that might be in the future. I might also just sell it and get a different one and experiment with those ones.or get one without the hum, after the pandemic ends so I can test before buying. I will definitely meditate on my choices and will come back with what I end up doing if I need any more help with them. If I want to try soldering I think I would prefer doing it with a different receiver, maybe one that's cheaper and could be a better host for testing and my beginning of tinkering with this equipment. I cannot thank you enough for the help.

And I do not get any sense of shock or tingling when handling the cabinet or knobs.

Thank you!
 
Capacitors in the power supply are probably the culprit. They filter the pulsating DC into pure line DC. If they fail (due to age or other) they will drag along 60hz hum which will go thru the entire system, be present on all inputs and no amount of grounding will solve it.
 
Capacitors in the power supply are probably the culprit. They filter the pulsating DC into pure line DC. If they fail (due to age or other) they will drag along 60hz hum which will go thru the entire system, be present on all inputs and no amount of grounding will solve it.

Exactly. And while I don't really believe in "shotgunning" anything replacing the filter caps can be cheap and easy if you know what you are doing. Me. I dabble in soldering and desoldering. Definitely not a pro at it. But I think I could handle replacing two caps. I hope so anyway... But I have not tried that yet. First project for me is to put a Technics SU-V707 back together again and see if it works...
 
Back
Top Bottom