• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

First Vintage Pioneer

xoaphexox

Supernatural Anesthetist
Christmas bonus money burning a hole... I am a Sansui fan but want to try something new in 2007... can someone make a recommendation? (Don't bother with anything too exotic or expensive, I doubt that I can afford TOTL)

Thanks
:music:

(edit) I guess I should have specified that I am looking for a receiver or power amp.
 
Register to hide this ad
The SX-950 would be a great first Pioneer receiver for you. Plenty of power and they can be had for pretty reasonable prices.
 
That looks like a good unit. I see one on the 'bay one state over. What do good condition ones usually close around? [How much is too much]

Thanks for the suggestion!
 
go Pioneer seperates.. great bang for the buck. I really like my TX-9500II tuner. Best tuner i've ever owned. No mods and it sings. Matched with a nice vintage Pioneer integrated amp.. and you'll be in heaven.

good luck.. I bet you'll have fun putting a Pioneer system together.
 
I am very fond of the SX x50/80 series, I even like some of them over some of the Sansui "G" series. Reliable and easy to work on.
 
I have always had a soft spot for the SA-X800 series floroscan display, integrated, non-switching amps. Match one up with a good tuner like danger boys and you are good to go.

Purdy blue lights that will hypnotize you....
 
So I started looking at the units you fellas mentioned. The ones that really stuck out were the SX-980 and SA-8800. I think I might save up and hold out until a nice example of one of these models comes around.

Thanks for your suggestions!
 
I have the SX-950 and SA-8800 and they're both excellent. You can't go wrong with either of those. I use the TX-7800 tuner with my SA-8800 and it's a great combination. If you can get a hold of a TX-9500II like Danger Boy has, that's even better. Vintage-yungin's suggestion is definitely worth considering too. If you can get an SX-838 or SX-939 for a reasonable price, they're great receivers too.
 
Picked up an SA-8800 tonight! I saw an SA-9800 that was modified by a fellow AKer, and no offense, but I like the little dB markers around the detented volume knob. The only difference I could tell between the 9800 and 8800 is that the 9800 has more WPC (that I wont use - I am not a loud listener) and it has the two extra toggles on the face for the crossover selection points for the tone controls (once again, tone controls not something I use).

I paid a bit more than I probably should have, but thats easy to do when its christmas money! I am pretty darn excited. The SX-980 was also on my list but that got really expensive really quickly. I will see how I like this SA-8800 before making the leap to the 980.

Thanks for spreading some cheer my way guys.
 
tarior said:
'You gotta tuna to go with that?

Sansui TU-919 is my tuna. I will be using that until I move into a bigger place, because for now I just dont have the space to set up individual listening areas.
 
pioneer.jpg


Well here it is, singing along to 'Franklins Tower' by the Grateful Dead. First Pioneer unit! I am quite happy with it!
 
Congrats and Christmas money well spent. :yes:

Hard to not be happy with vintage flouroscan Pioneer. :thmbsp:

Paul
 
A great overlooked receiver is the Pioneer SX-1500TD. Great looks[black face/blue lights], great sound[tube like]. It is 58 WPC at 8 ohms. Beautiful walnut veneer case. Was TOTL in 1970/1971. Can be had for a lower price on eBay.

Just my 2 cents.

TankDonovan
 
xoaphexox said:
Well here it is, singing along to 'Franklins Tower' by the Grateful Dead. First Pioneer unit! I am quite happy with it!


Great choice of amp!! :thmbsp: I have the SA9800 but I`m sure that 8800 will be close to what I have - I do like your Sansui Tuner!!! I`m a Pioneer fan but a do have a little soft spot for Sansui stuff - its decent gear!! :yes:

Cheers,
LOZ (England) :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom