• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fish eye killer

crispycircuit

Super Member
I had my Dynaco MK3 end bell down to metal. Then a coat of primer and a coat of paint. Fish eye ruined the job. I repeated the job, bare metal, prime, paint with a cleaning with Lacquer thinner. Fish eye again! So after hrs of reading. I read a pro window cleaner will get rid of the problem. After I got it back down to metal, I used a can of Crystal pro spray window cleaner. It foams up and let it sit for 2 minutes. Took a fine scrub brush to it and rinsed in hot water. Primed and paint. Bingo! Perfect paint job. Time spent and frustration was sad. Try it and let us know. Cheers!
 
Register to hide this ad
i've been painting cars for 30 years. i've been using windex as a final cleaner for 28 years.

i never use any liquid to clean metal prior to paint unless it is a metal treatment and i am avoiding using an etch primer.
 
hm, interesting. I've usually used acetone or brake cleaner as a final wash before paint. I'll have to try the windex, its a fair bit cheaper than solvents.
 
hm, interesting. I've usually used acetone or brake cleaner as a final wash before paint. I'll have to try the windex, its a fair bit cheaper than solvents.
if it's a chemical based contaminant(pb blaster, oil,etc.) on the surface, a solvent based cleaner is needed.

a water based contaminant(sweat, fingerprints, tree sap) a water based cleaner is needed.
 
I've never heard of anyone painting a driver body before. Learn something new everyday here on AK. How about a pic when it is all done?
 
I just stripped and painted 8 end bells for my Mk2's. Stripped, rubbed down with red scotch brite, cleaned with acetone and only touched with disposable gloves after. I used a self etching spray primer, smoothed if required with the scotch brite and then 2nd shot of primer. Final coat of gloss spray came out pretty nice. I'm going with it.
 
yeah they can get pretty crusty looking. Usually I've just re-shot the whole transformer rather than just the bells. If they are crusty enough to need paint, so is the lamination stack. All of mine so far have been all same color though. I do have a few things where the covers don't match the lam stack, those I'd pull for paint.
 
Back
Top Bottom