• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher - 1967 Philharmonic Console repair/restoration

Restore or Sell?

  • Restore

    Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Sell/Donate

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    2

btracy22

New Member
Hi,
I'm new to AK, but have used it as a resource in the past. And I am not experienced in audio/electronics repair.
I own a 1967 Philharmonic Console (P-292-SC) http://www.fisherconsoles.com/philharmonic p292.html. I inherited it when I purchased my house in 2011 as the previous owner left it behind. It has the original receipt from when purchased and is in very good looking condition. I used it routinely before it began to have some sound issues in the past year or two (right speaker distortion, etc). I am trying to determine if I should repair/restore the audio or sell this along to someone that will use. So my questions are:
- Repair or Sell/Donate?
- Does anyone know of people in the Seattle, WA area that work on these consoles to do a potential repair? So far vintage audio shops that I have contacted do not want anything to do with these old consoles.
- What is something like this model generally worth?

Thanks for your help.
 
Register to hide this ad
The chassis can be removed from the console. Probably a 220-T. Can you take a picture of the operating panel of the unit itself and post.

10 minutes later.........EDIT!!!!
The 21-R is the console version of the 220-T. The 67 Metropolitan and 67 Custom electra both used the 220-T. Service manual here...... http://www.fisherconsoles.com/non console manuals/fisher 220t beg 10001 sm.pdf

Pull the chassis and clean all of the pots, switches, contacts (RCA's in the back) with DeOxit and Faderlube. There should be some threads on the 220-T around here.
 
Last edited:
These old consoles are a mixed bag. The fans say there is nothing like the sound of a quality console.
The naysayers say they are too big and awkward, hard to move, hard to manage,
and the service for these systems are few and far between these days.
Hard to donate them as they are so darned large and awkward to move!

That said - the P-292-SC (Scandinavian) looks like a nice style to me, something to be proud to own.

I'm on the opposite coast, near Wash. DC - so not much I can do for you - but if you liked it and the way it sounded,
I would recommend trying to find someone to have a look at it. Could be something as simple as a bad tube or two.
Oops - my bad, I just saw Larry's link and checked the schematic
- and its got transistors, not tubes. Still fixable, just a different approach.
 
Here are some photos. Looks like the 220-T. I'm a newbie and not certain how i would remove the chassis?

B91E89D4-C1E0-4BB9-AF16-7B6A22931592.jpeg 9C6D2219-C7B7-479A-A088-CE1DD8BF3772.jpeg 5D73599D-5B42-43F5-B903-C855BA12B3F6.jpeg 70BEF7C4-B3B1-4AD3-AC38-FC69119B9878.jpeg
The chassis can be removed from the console. Probably a 220-T. Can you take a picture of the operating panel of the unit itself and post.

10 minutes later.........EDIT!!!!
The 21-R is the console version of the 220-T. The 67 Metropolitan and 67 Custom electra both used the 220-T. Service manual here...... http://www.fisherconsoles.com/non console manuals/fisher 220t beg 10001 sm.pdf

Pull the chassis and clean all of the pots, switches, contacts (RCA's in the back) with DeOxit and Faderlube. There should be some threads on the 220-T around here.
 
Last edited:
Feel on the Underside (bottom) of the chassis. Probably 4 screws to attach it to a board. Undo the screws, and wiring from the back and lift it straight UP out of the case.
 
Back
Top Bottom