• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 290t chasis/baldwin 12ax7 tubes

rshadley

Active Member
I picked up a fisher console that has the 290t chasis which takes the 12ax7 tubes. I also have the chance to pick up a 3 channel baldwin tube amp and I was wondering if the 12ax7 baldwin tubes would work with my fisher 290t. The baldwin tube amp also has 8ea 6bq5 tubes.
 
Register to hide this ad
A 12AX7 is a 12AX7. Different types might have a bit different sound, but they're all electrically interchangeable.

Baldwin tubes were mostly made by Sylvania (green lettering) and Raytheon (yellow lettering). I've seen some RCAs with white lettering as well. In my experience, the Sylvanias are by far the most common Baldwin tubes. The paint thing only applies to small-signal tubes, BTW. I've never seen a GE Baldwin small tube, but they would likely have white or red paint with the very distinctive GE etched markings. I have a couple of GE-produced, Baldwin-labeled 6L6GC output tubes, but they're the only GE Baldwins I've found.
 
Thank you for the quick response!

Here is my dilema. The Fisher 290T fires up and works. In FM stereo I get a hum and I do have the FM adapter which takes 3 12ax7 tubes. I have not fired it up with the back off to see if all the tubes in the FM adapter are working. I came across the Baldwin organ with two tone consoles(e3 and epr) and tried to talk my brother into buying it. I have read alot of info where people use the baldwin two channel and mono amps for home stereo. Is there any home use for a baldwin 3 channel tube amp in the home application? The Baldwin Organ is complete for a c-note.
 
Parted a Baldwin organ out a short while back and has all those 6BQ5s and 12AX7s your talking about. The ones I got have the painted tops...the 12AX7s are orange and the 6BQ5s are yellow painted tops I believe.

Someone said these indicate low microphonics - at least for the snall signal tubes.

As for the radio part of your Fisher...seek some good advice before swapping stuff. Not sure if you'll need recalibration if you even change the tubes (I'm not a radio guy).

Like tubes in the other parts of the amp should be no problem.

Regarding the three channel - you could make a sub/satellite system. Or just part out for another rig...

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
That Baldwin might be a good score.

If it has the three channel amp with 8 x 8BQ5s then may have the other boards with bunches of 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes and other useable parts.....see pics of the pieces I got from the last Baldwin at this link http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=305570 . You'll notice the amp with the big trannies up front. The other small chassis is all Sylvania 12AX7s with the orange paint on top, and the big chassis is all 12AU7s.

Plus, you'll likely find Jensen speakers in there....very sought after by guitar folks. Mine had a C15N and 2 x C12N.

So if you're a hobbiest, suggest you go for it. If you don't screw around with parting things out and making new stuff, might be a hassle.....but then notify a buddy who does:D.
 
Last edited:
Horn Head,

I have looked over the two tone cabinets and organ twice and only see the three cannel amp. Where did you find the other two chassis?
 
Horn Head,

I have looked over the two tone cabinets and organ twice and only see the three cannel amp. Where did you find the other two chassis?

rshadley,

Everything was stuffed in the main organ body - it didn't have any separate tone cabs. It was a really big one like you'd see in a theater, church, or roller rink.

Apparently you're onto a different model (never did get the data plate off the one I got). Too bad.

Even so, lots of good stuff just in that one amp chassis - but for the price???.....
 
Went back to check it out and the organ was a model 6 that came out in 1964 and had transistors. One of the two tone cabinets had the 3 channel tube amp. I guess I will leave it for somebody else and if I need tubes for my Fisher 290t I will look elsewhere.

Thanks All
 
Back
Top Bottom