• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500 mono. What is a good speaker match?

KlankTank

Member
Looking for opinions on a good speaker match for a Fisher 500 mono. Primarily for mono vinyl on a TD124 or 134. Spent time on the "lets talk mono" thread and was interested in the open baffle speaker concept, it looks like a fun project.
AND/OR, I have 15" JBL D130's, 140's and CTS's from Ampeg portaflex bass cabinets. Would one of those be a good driver for a 3 way cabinet build? Maybe keep a 15 in the original designed cabinet and have outboard mid and tweet? What mid and horn or tweet and x'over to go with the 15"? Maybe I'm nuts for even thinking about this and need to hear it and just buy something...
But what's the fun in that?
Thanks
Klank

1.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
The JBL D130 would be a period correct match. You'll need a large enclosure to get any bass out of it. It was designed to crossover to a 075 tweeter at about 2500 hz, I think the network is a N2500 or something. You can look this up at Lansing Heritage in their JBL library, look in the 1950's and 1960's catalogs. You'll also get ideas for enclosures there. I see a lot of C38 enclosures with the D130 on ebay, those are way too small for the 15" driver, something like a C34 or C40 would be better
 
Found an original wood case for the TA500 online. Really close match to the cabinet color.
 

Attachments

  • TA500 AND JENSEN IMPERIAL.jpg
    TA500 AND JENSEN IMPERIAL.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 12

Wow simply stunning and congratulations on the jensen imperial. Seems the ak emojies we had are m.i.a. with the new software update.​

 
Thanks radioactive!!! I came across an old post of yours. Did you ever open up your triplex crossovers and recap?
Is there an Imperial forum?
 
Thanks radioactive!!! I came across an old post of yours. Did you ever open up your triplex crossovers and recap?
Is there an Imperial forum?

No ,I haven't really done anything with the speaker except check continuity for the drivers.It seems im missing a crossover according to the jensen builders plan guide but then again i have some resistors on one crossover that shouldnt be there.I will eventually get it figured out.Too many projects and speakers in q for cabinet work and restoration that i hope to get to someday.​

 
Back
Top Bottom