• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500B front knob caps

medulla

Member
Today I decided to throw my dog a bone and it happened to take a funny bounce and hit the 500B! NOOOOO
So one of the front gold knob caps fell off (balance knob far left). It looks to have originally been superglue'd on? What would you recommend for my repair? High heat superglue? Rubber cement? Any other alternatives?
b4965114880c11e180c9123138016265_7.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I just used some blu-tak and stuck mine back on. hasnt fallen off yet. cheap and functional. no one the wiser.
 
Well, they definitely weren't superglued on, since superglue hadn't been invented yet. Any white glue will work fine.
 
Well, they definitely weren't superglued on, since superglue hadn't been invented yet. Any white glue will work fine.


"The original cyanoacrylates (the chemical name for the glue) were discovered in 1942 in a search for materials to make clear plastic gun sights for the war, and scientists stumbled upon a formulation that stuck to everything that it came in contact with. However, cyanoacrylates were quickly rejected by American researchers precisely because they stuck to everything! In 1951, cyanoacrylates were rediscovered by Eastman Kodak researchers Harry Coover and Fred Joyner, who recognized its true commercial potential, and it was first sold as a commercial product in 1958."

http://www.supergluecorp.com/history.html
 
Well, it certainly was never used on any Fisher tube gear, because 95% of the knob brights fell off! :D
 
Last edited:
I use Elmer's rubber cement.
Take the knob off and put it so the brass cap will be pressing down on it.
Put some rubber cement on.
I put it only on the knob, then press the brass cap on. Then I put something on it to keep it pressed down until it dries.
I typically do these at bedtime and they're ready to go back on in the morning.
In a pinch, I've put the glue on, hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer, then pressed the knob bright on. Voila!
 
How about a little model airplane glue. that's what I would use.

Model airplane glue doesn't hold to metal all that well. 5 minute epoxy or Rubber cement like Audiodon suggests are probably the best bets for long term application. Blue tac is also good if you need to remove them. I use 5 minute epoxy.

Larry
 
Model airplane glue doesn't hold to metal all that well. 5 minute epoxy or Rubber cement like Audiodon suggests are probably the best bets for long term application. Blue tac is also good if you need to remove them. I use 5 minute epoxy.

Thank you Larry!

I use Elmer's rubber cement.
Take the knob off and put it so the brass cap will be pressing down on it.
Put some rubber cement on.
I put it only on the knob, then press the brass cap on. Then I put something on it to keep it pressed down until it dries.
I typically do these at bedtime and they're ready to go back on in the morning.
In a pinch, I've put the glue on, hit it with a heat gun or hair dryer, then pressed the knob bright on. Voila!

Great tip! Ill go for this because its the only thing i see laying around the house. I imagine I should get rid of as much of the old gunk as possible before applying the rubber cement?
 
Careful not to chip the bakelite. I don't usually remove any unless it's loose or I can't lay the brass cap in flat with all the glue in place.
 
+1 on the rubber cement. I do it per spec by placing a little on each part, waiting about 10 minutes and then attaching.

I was wondering if anyone had found a source for modern production knobs that look good with the Fisher originals? I just changed out the volume pot to a round shaft ALPS and have been looking for something kinda similar.

Edit: At the moment I'm using a knob from an old scope that is the same color as the push buttons on my 400-CX. It doesn't look too bad and I like having the volume knob a little larger diameter than the others.
 
Last edited:
I used Loctite Super Glue Gel, easy to apply and control, and it seems to be holding like concrete. I chipped off only the loose part of the original adhesive.
 
Back
Top Bottom