• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 500c question

volleyguy7

Active Member
Fisher 500c

I know this is going to sound like a silly question but I must be sure. The wires on the back that can be adjusted from 4ohm, 8ohms and 16ohms speakers are to be set to the impedance of ones speakers correct? My x-101-d does not have these wire.

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Correct. Even if you're using 4 ohm speakers, I would lveave the 8 ohm wire attached in the impedance selector. Reason being, the output transformers will give limited frequency range (rolled off in the highs) if the 4 ohm tap is used. Just IME.
 
My AR3a's are 4 ohm. I should really move my 500-C impedance wires back to 8 ohm? Sounds counter-intuitive. Do other 500-C (and 400 and 800) owners do this?
 
Correct. Even if you're using 4 ohm speakers, I would lveave the 8 ohm wire attached in the impedance selector. Reason being, the output transformers will give limited frequency range (rolled off in the highs) if the 4 ohm tap is used. Just IME.

Not quite, impedance is basically ac resistance. Mismatch it and you will get different outputs at different frequencies. That is the point of impedance matching, to give a flat response. It also affects power output. Your amp can put out more power at 4 ohms, but this is only if it is matched into 4 ohms.

If you have 4 ohm speakers on the 4 ohm tap there will be no high rolloff. If you put 4 ohm speakers on the 8 ohm tap you will have peaking and/or rolloffs or troughs in the response curve.

The caveat to this is speaker crossover networks. For example, many of the Klipsch crossovers vary wildly in impedance vs frequency (a double wammy). They peak at 32 ohms, so the tap choice is really a matter of personal taste.

The bottom line is to try all taps and subjectively choose one.
 
My speakers are 4ohm Klipsch Lascala's as well and thought it a slam dunk to connect to 4ohm. I am also confused???


Are you sure your La Scalas are 4 Ohm? - I thought all these were 8 Ohm. I owned Klipsch Belles and currently have Klipschorns and both were 8 Ohm.
 
Are you sure your La Scalas are 4 Ohm? - I thought all these were 8 Ohm. I owned Klipsch Belles and currently have Klipschorns and both were 8 Ohm.

How do you rate Klipschorns? How do you compare them let's say to high-end Technics, Kenwood or something similar?
 
How do you rate Klipschorns? How do you compare them let's say to high-end Technics, Kenwood or something similar?

Khorns are in completely different league than the speakers you mention. They are a far superior speaker. Keep in mind that they are horn speakers that need very little power aas they are 104db. I am driving mine with 45 SET amps that are only 1.8 watts per channel.

I have modified my Khorns and have replaced the midrange with Altec 1005B horns and 288-16K drivers. And have put together my own custom crossover. The stock Khorn midrange can be improved upon greatly. But even the stock Khorn is probably better than 98% of the speakers on the market IMHO.
 
Wow Khorns compared to Techniques or Kenwood???? Wow! Khorns may be the greatest speaker ever made!
Total different league.

My Lascala's are the vintage 4ohm AA crossover Alnico dual phase mid range driver.

I do think you are right thou that some of the newer Klipsch are 8 ohms. After I owned a set of Heresy II's I lost all interest in the company.
 
Back
Top Bottom