• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher 510b speakers run to or away?

TODDFFF

New Member
I so miss listening to my old stereo. The wife had me pack up the rack system years ago, then the “Sony surround system” ended up in a box as well. Never really cared for the free standing little speakers (4) and the subwoofer. Now I work all day out in the garage, I am look for a set of speakers to go with my old system. It is a Scott tube amp with eq on it, separate tuner that plugs into it, 30 band graphic eq and linear track turntable also from Scott. Back in the day, it came with 4 speakers with 16” woofers 3 way and really sounded fantastic and as well down the street much to the neighborhood’s dismay.

there is a kid across town selling these Fisher 510b speakers with 15” woofers 3 way and was wondering if anyone knows about them.

thank you for your time!
 
Register to hide this ad
Are you sure about that model number?
"Fisher 510b" got no results on Google. No listings on ebay either.That often means they may have been a part of a rack system. Sometimes loud and boomy, possibly good garage, party, or back ground music speakers
"Fisher ST-510" got quite a few results and those do look like they might play loud and possibly boomy.
Fisher made lots of speakers but very few were of what many consider "good speakers"

>>>>If possible you should go listen to them and decide if they are pleasing to you.<<<<
It does sound based on your previous speakers and mentioning blasting sound throughout the neighborhood the Fishers might be a good match for you.
Size of room, type of music, volume levels you play music at all are factors in making a decision that would work well for anyone looking for new/used speakers. Power available and ohm ratings/efficiency of the speakers can also be factors.
 
I'm a little more enthusiastic than swechsler, based on nothing other than looking at a picture of them. While they probably don't have much in the way of audiophile virtues - they are clearly rack speakers or close - they probably are better than most of them since they have a dome tweeter, not just a cone. And you are not swechsler or me - you are pining for your old speakers which you loved (even if the neighbors didn't). These Fishers might be rather like them. And I've had the experience of refoaming a pair of big Kenwood rack mount speakers, giving them to a friend, and hearing Marvin Gaye more compellingly than on any of my speakers - full scale, dynamic, extended frequencies (admittedly it was louder than I normally listen, which does help). So I don't automatically dismiss such speakers.
That said, everything depends on price, and whether you like how they sound. Don't pay much at all - I found an ad for a pair for 25 bucks - and listen to them before you even part with that amount of money.

My comment about dome vs cone tweeters shouldn't be taken as a slam on cone tweeters, which often can sound very good, better than many dome tweeters - even if they give up a bit in the last octave and they don't have the dispersion of smaller domes, at the low end their polar patterns mesh better with the mid or woofer, and their typical resonances/distortions may sound better to your ears than those of dome tweeters.
 
I'm a little more enthusiastic than swechsler, based on nothing other than looking at a picture of them.
Almost* any Fisher speaker from the 70s or later, especially with such a large woofer, is going to be crap. They might play loud, but they really won't be accurate. Unless they're being sold for $20 a pair, I'd still advise the OP to look elsewhere.

* There was one speaker from this era, sold by Fisher, and also sold under the Sanyo nameplate, with aluminum drivers. Unfortunately I couldn't find it with a brief web search, but this model was supposedly pretty good.
 
Right now all I have in the garage is my sons old shelf system. It is a Sony 51 cd double cassette deck system. We got it for him Probably 20 years ago. He decided to put a quarter in the CD player and killed it but cassette decks are like new as we never had them for it Now he is the audiophile with all high end Focal in his car.

I just want for lack of better terms “bigger” music than what the shelf speakers are capable of. Don’t really need to blast it just want to be happy while I work.
 
Back
Top Bottom