• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

FISHER KX-90 seek Sams!

SixCats!

Super Member
Hi all,

Might anyone have some SAMS for a FISHER KX-90 Integrated Tube Amp ?
I checked with my usual source for lit. and nothing turned up.
The FISHER KX-90 has four 7189's and five 12AX7's.
I sure would appreciate any information for this unit. Thanks.

Regards,
Tom aka SixCats!
 
Register to hide this ad
The "K" indicates a kit - so it won't be in Sams. But it's probably the same as one of the X-100 or 101 models... I have the Sams folder for the first version of the X-101 - same tubes, five knobs in two rows, two slide switches. Transformer part numbers would probably nail it...
 
I have the assembly manual

I am actually in the process of recapping my KX-90 right now (only the can caps left to replace). I have the StrataKit Assembly Manual for it, which includes the schematic.

Do you need a copy of the schematic and the parts list?
 
Hi guys,

Thank you for responding to my thread. Tom, I did infact try to go the same route you suggested (i.e. X-100) but found that the X-100 tube were not the same as the KX-90's 7189's so, I'm thinking there must be some major differences in the units make up and...this is the reason for my post.

Joenielsen...once you get your KX-90 back together, I'm betting your going to LOVE it! Prior to my KX-90 developing it's problem (most likely due to being all original/old caps etc.) it's sound was EXCELLENT! In fact, I liked it better than my FISHER 400 Tube Receiver (which is no slouch!)
Ooooh, God yes, I would very much appreciate a copy of the schematic and parts list! Thanks so much for you kind offer.

Regards,
Tom Patrick aka SixCats!
 
Sixcats!,

PM me with your e-mail address and I"ll try to scan and e-mail you those things tonight.

What's the problem with your KX-90? I agree, it is a very nice sounding amplifier. Mine was working fine when I got it (just had to put some new tubes in it), but I am recapping it because I plan to use it long term. I am taking it slow and testing it after I replace each cap (or a couple at a time) just to make sure everything goes smoothly. It has been a very easy recap so far, but the hardest part will be bypassing the can caps underneath the chassis (between the 3 cans, there are 7 large electrolytic caps that I have to find space for underneath). I only have the 2 and 4 section caps left at this point.

I have a fully restored Fisher 400 as well, and I thought the KX-90 -- even in unrestored condition -- sounded better. Very good synergy with my Bozak B-302s, although not as good with my Wharfedale W-70s (in my opinion, anyway). I think it is the output tubes (7189/6bq5) that make the difference, because I also thought my Stromberg-Carlson ASR-433 sounded better than the Fisher 400.

I am actually planning to use the KX-90 in my office as a headphone amplifier when I am finished. It really sounds great with headphones.
 
Back
Top Bottom