• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher KX200 and Sprague PIO caps

tube-a-lou

Addicted Member
Hi all,
Sorry I've not been here on the Fisher site but I've been busy between
getting chemo and working on camera's and of course my tube amps
(Scott) which been driving me a bit crazy, it's not sounding to good even
with all the cap and resistor changes. It doesn't match up with my Rogers
LS1's seems to be a bit hard sounding but that's another story. I did a little
work on my fisher KX200, purchased a quad of Sprague Pio caps in .047uf
value because I wanted to see how the amp would sound with them and I
like them in there, they added a bit more air to the top end with a nice mid
range, oh and with the Roger LS1's it seems like a happy match up. So do
I lose anything with the smaller caps in there, I did look at the schematic
and that was the original value's that the coupling caps were so it should
be good?
 
Register to hide this ad
Tube: Welcome back and glad you're back "in action." As far as cap size is concerned, so long as the values are the same, you're good. The physical size matters less and, frankly, the smaller the better. So if the new caps are the same value, and they're smaller, then your KX200 should be happy :)
 
what he said. If value matches and volts meet or exceed the original rating you're fine so long as it physically fits without shorting things out.

caveat here about the values, if the grid resistors were changed to a smaller value, the coupling caps were probably bumped to compensate. Worth comparing those to schematic value. If the grid resistors are smaller value than stock, then the smaller value coupling caps are likely to produce a bit of low frequency roll-off.
 
Thanks guy's, I was wondering about CD player's, do these old amps hold up well
when using modern equipment. To me when you get to about 12 o'clock on the
volume the sound get's a bit hard sounding, like it's getting overloaded. It could
be the speakers as well I have three pairs of bookshelf's a pair of B&W 302's, Roger's
LS1's and last Tangent SPL-1's the first two do get a bit hard sounding but surprising
the Tangent which I thought was dull sounding when used with the right amp sounds
great loud and holds up. When you look at the driver's used in the speakers the Tangent
uses the Audax drivers from France which are high quality and it sounds like it. what
do you guy's think?
 
CD players notoriously have hot outputs. Fortunately, all of my Harman Kardon 7500 players have front panel level controls and they are usually set around 1:00 or 2:00. You could add trimpots or even fixed resistors in the CD player to bring down the level. A 50% reduction would not be overkill.
 
CD players notoriously have hot outputs. Fortunately, all of my Harman Kardon 7500 players have front panel level controls and they are usually set around 1:00 or 2:00. You could add trimpots or even fixed resistors in the CD player to bring down the level. A 50% reduction would not be overkill.
Another reason I like the X202 and TA series Fisher's, they have attenuators on the back for each input. :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom