• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher Plastic Antenna Holder Question

artdecoradio

Active Member
I have a few Fisher tube receivers which use the typical rod-type antenna in the back for AM reception. On two of these receivers, the clear yellow plastic antenna holders are broken (they are made of a really brittle plastic which weakens with age). I've seen that quite often on Fisher receivers. Are reproductions of these being made or, if not, I was wondering what others have done when these things are broken. I know that there are many ways of securing the antenna rod in position but I'd like to find something that looks as original as possible. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Using those clamps is a good idea! Thanks, I'll go get some. I often wonder why they used those cheap plastic holders to secure the antenna rod in place. With all of the brilliant engineers at Fisher back then, you would think that at least one of them would have figured out that those holders should be made of metal and not plastic (especially since a lot of people back then probably thought that those antenna units were "handles"). In fact, as shown in your picture, the antenna rod says on it "Do Not Use as a Handle"! So, evidently, the engineers back then must have known about this issue but, still, they used those weak plastic holders on the Fisher stuff for some unexplained reason. :)
 
This is exactly what Larry advised me to do to repair my 1800, which was apparently in the same shape as yours. Got the cable clamps at Lowes. Had to replace the end caps on my, too, as they were as deteriorated badly as well. Antenna still works and, no, I'm not using it as a handle!
Dave
 
they used those weak plastic holders on the Fisher stuff for some unexplained reason. :)

The originals were probably no worse than modern plastic clamps half a century ago. 50 years from now they will need to be replaced again I expect.
 
Yes, just did the same thing on a 500-B, however, please note, the size is very important, it's 5/8", neither a 1/2" or 3/4" will work, and the 5/8" are not common at the local HD stores
 
Back
Top Bottom