• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher repair ?

artie in mia

New Member
I have a Fisher amp from 1971 (505t I believe) and need to have it repaired/recapped...can anyone recommend a shop that does good work without killing me price wise ? I really want to have this up and running again...I have the factory repair manual that inculdes schematics if that helps.

artie in miami
 
Register to hide this ad
Is the 505-T working and just tired? Or is it not working, and needs to be repaired?


Caps are cheap. Labor is the killer here. I just did a 250-TX,450-T, and a 700-T (my personal gear) for a combined parts price of $106. Plus shipping. The 505-T, if you did all the caps, and it was working before hand, will probably run about $35.00-$40.00 for parts. Say for the sake of arguement that the tech does all of them (and most shops will only do what's minimally necessary to get it out the door) and it runs to 5-6 hours. 75-100 per hour. So $450 to $600 just for labor.

These aren't really hard units to work on. But they DO require dis-assembly of the boards from the wiring in most cases. And for the most part they are soldered to pins. This takes time.

And no, I don't take in outside work. There are AK'er's who will work on gear, and do full up restorations for a lot less than most shops. The problem is you'll have to pack and ship it. BKtheking (Brad), is in Canada. There are others but I don't keep up on them. AK'er Noodle(who's in AL or MS) might take in outside stuff. PM both of them and check.

Larry
 
Thanks for the advice guys...I will check on them. I got a priv mess that said I should describe what happened to the unit, so....all at once, there was a funny burning smell and immediate loss of volume in both channels...if I crank the volume I can hear faint music from both channels ???
 
Roy is still at it !

Ray
Roy is still at it I think ? Found his website w/ address and phone and will call tomorrow. Thanks for the great info...he sounds perfect.

I live in the South end of Miami Dade County, just off SW 184 Street and US-1...Roy is a bit of a drive for me, but he seems worth it. It takes nearly an hour to drive from one end of Miami to the other (North to South)...and that is on the FL Turnpike at 60 mph !!
I will let you know how it goes

artie
 
The problem here is as someone else stated. The labor charges of between 50 and 80 an hour. There are a lot of guys who restore old gear in their home shops for far less. They will replace everything and charge around $200 for labor. It is a lot of work on some units. Your unit sounds like it is not working properly so you are looking at first getting it to run, then doing the restoration. This may be rather costly even in a small shop. One issue could be finding transistors and such for that unit if any let go when it started giving trouble. I have several units of that vintage sitting around because the transistors are very hard to find. I actually started buying up certain old transistors just to have them for my own gear and gear I work on for others.
 
Is it a 505T or 550T?

The 550T is a great little receiver. I picked one up years ago and consider it right up there with my Marantzs. Excellent sound.

Really worth getting working.

As mentioned, finding a local tech is good (driving distance).
Shipping can get spendy but may be worth it to get to some of us AK fixers.
I find that we tend to do things well and proper (as if we actually LIKE the stuff).
:D
The closest I get to you is still a long away (ND). Seattle is just way too far.
 
Ray
Roy is still at it I think ? Found his website w/ address and phone and will call tomorrow. Thanks for the great info...he sounds perfect.

I live in the South end of Miami Dade County, just off SW 184 Street and US-1...Roy is a bit of a drive for me, but he seems worth it. It takes nearly an hour to drive from one end of Miami to the other (North to South)...and that is on the FL Turnpike at 60 mph !!
I will let you know how it goes

artie

Eureka Drive, right? I used to live near Colonial and SW 100 Avenue. And drove every day for 5 years up to NE 151 Street. No fun at all!

Like I said, I've no experience with Roy, but I read that article I linked. I've actually thought about dropping in on him, but it's an even further drive from central Palm Beach county!
 
Back
Top Bottom