• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher TA-600

NYListens

CBGB & OMFUG
I am almost finished with the Fisher 500-S and my next project will be a TA-600. I am looking at the schematic and I am surprised at how different it is from the 500-B and 500-S that I worked on. The power stage is tube rectified and I have never worked on such a set up. In both of my prior rebuilds, I just replaced the electrolytic caps in the beginning of the power stage in the B it was two 1000uf caps and the S had two 100uf caps. I think I will replace the three caps in C1 of the TA-600 which are two 40ufs and one 20uf caps. Anyone have experience with this unit that would like to share your opinions? Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
What about all the other electrolytics in there? The 40/40/20/20 can is from the GZ34 rectifier, but then there is the 40/40/40 from the EZ81, plus a 10/10/30/30 and a good number of individual ones. There's a ton of molded caps to do in there too in some nice tight spaces.:D

Have fun with that! :thmbsp:
 
What about all the other electrolytics in there? The 40/40/20/20 can is from the GZ34 rectifier, but then there is the 40/40/40 from the EZ81, plus a 10/10/30/30 and a good number of individual ones. There's a ton of molded caps to do in there too in some nice tight spaces.:D

Have fun with that! :thmbsp:

Yes, it is by far the tightest I have seen. On the caps, I only want to replace the bare minimum for the electrolytics. I hate when the bottom of the chassis is littered with them. If they need to be replaced I will, but I wanted to only replace the critical ones first.
 
Brassteacher (Don) and GordonW worked on two of them from me. You may want to contact them. The Fisher 600 is a great receiver.

John
 
i am a new Poster, Ben McOsker, and working on the same project... if anyone has a list of caps needing replacing, i'd love to be included.
 
i am a new Poster, Ben McOsker, and working on the same project... if anyone has a list of caps needing replacing, i'd love to be included.

Do you have the photofacts for it? Sometime in the next week or two I plan on getting under the hood and looking at the photofacts to figure it out. Perhaps we can compare notes?
 
i ordered Sams schematics on this and should have them real soon and would certainly be willing to share them. Should have them tomorrow. I ordered 4 7189 tubes, a GZ 34, and a silicon bias bridge. waiting on the specs to order the Orange Drop caps i'd need to finish this amp i saw just sitting on a curb. In great shape other than a few tubes.

Best,
Ben McOsker
 
i ordered Sams schematics on this and should have them real soon and would certainly be willing to share them. Should have them tomorrow. I ordered 4 7189 tubes, a GZ 34, and a silicon bias bridge. waiting on the specs to order the Orange Drop caps i'd need to finish this amp i saw just sitting on a curb. In great shape other than a few tubes.

Best,
Ben McOsker

It is tube rectified and I don't think you will need the silicon bridge.
 
What about all the other electrolytics in there? The 40/40/20/20 can is from the GZ34 rectifier, but then there is the 40/40/40 from the EZ81, plus a 10/10/30/30 and a good number of individual ones. There's a ton of molded caps to do in there too in some nice tight spaces.:D

Have fun with that! :thmbsp:

I took another look under the hood today. It looks like a real female dog under there. There are molded caps a few small electrolytics everywhere along the signal path and they all look like the person who put them there was doing their darnedest to make them unreachable. I think I will also re-wire it to take 6u8s instead of the outlandishly expensive 7199s.
 
I took another look under the hood today. It looks like a real female dog under there. There are molded caps a few small electrolytics everywhere along the signal path and they all look like the person who put them there was doing their darnedest to make them unreachable. I think I will also re-wire it to take 6u8s instead of the outlandishly expensive 7199s.

There's a good amount of work to do there. I was looking at AES; seems like they have 40/40/20/20 and 40/40/40 multi-section cans. If it was a real junk receiver it would be tempting to just do the amp and preamp, and convert it to a real nice integrated - but these Fishers are pretty, and good performers.
 
There's a good amount of work to do there. I was looking at AES; seems like they have 40/40/20/20 and 40/40/40 multi-section cans. If it was a real junk receiver it would be tempting to just do the amp and preamp, and convert it to a real nice integrated - but these Fishers are pretty, and good performers.

Yes, they are certainly good performers and I can't wait to listen to the 600. Cosmetically, the 600 I got is in fabulous shape. There is just a little bit of rust/pitting on the face and only a smidgen on the chassis.
 
Yes, they are certainly good performers and I can't wait to listen to the 600. Cosmetically, the 600 I got is in fabulous shape. There is just a little bit of rust/pitting on the face and only a smidgen on the chassis.

You're lucky. The face on mine is nice but the chassis has it's challenges; it's cleaning up though. This one was very much neglected, one OP transformer was out, terrible caps, rough pots, no tubes, no tuner string, nothing much worked, so it's a slow recovery process. It's in a semi-working state right now, so it's on the road to recovery.
 
You're lucky. The face on mine is nice but the chassis has it's challenges; it's cleaning up though. This one was very much neglected, one OP transformer was out, terrible caps, rough pots, no tubes, no tuner string, nothing much worked, so it's a slow recovery process. It's in a semi-working state right now, so it's on the road to recovery.

Mine came tubeless too. I believe the person sold them. My 500-S has a broken AM string and the face and body are fairly rusted. However, most of the tubes were in good shape. By the way, I purchased brand new 6P14P tubes off of e-bay (let me know if you want the seller) and they work great in my 500-6. The rest of the tubes I am going to have to buy piecemeal.
 
Mine came tubeless too. I believe the person sold them. My 500-S has a broken AM string and the face and body are fairly rusted. However, most of the tubes were in good shape. By the way, I purchased brand new 6P14P tubes off of e-bay (let me know if you want the seller) and they work great in my 500-6. The rest of the tubes I am going to have to buy piecemeal.

Thanks. I have a number of other amps and receivers that use 6BQ5 or 7189 tubes, so I have spares. BTW, for the Russian tubes I prefer the 6P14P-EV over the regular 6P14P, for higher voltage and longer life, especially where they are replacing 7189 tubes.
 
Thanks. I have a number of other amps and receivers that use 6BQ5 or 7189 tubes, so I have spares. BTW, for the Russian tubes I prefer the 6P14P-EV over the regular 6P14P, for higher voltage and longer life, especially where they are replacing 7189 tubes.


Thanks for the info.
 
Back
Top Bottom