• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher X100 No Highs in the Right Problem

tube-a-lou

Addicted Member
Hi all,
Seems to be a little problem with my X100, when I play certain recording
that I know that have highs in the left and right, it seems that there's no
highs there, awol, its been recapped and all that, but somethings missing.
Fisher guy's any ideas. :scratch2:

Thanks again
Tube
 
Register to hide this ad
Swap tubes.
1. Output pairs (swap pairs)
2. Phase Inverter pair
3. Tone amp pair
4. Preamp pair.

No change? Look to coupling caps, a bad resistor or miswiring.
 
Last edited:
Are you sure it's your amp? Might be a loose tweeter connection in your speaker. Try swapping your speakers left to right, too....to rule that out.

Also....next time it happens try using your stereo reverse switch to see if the problem migrates channels. If it does it will tell you that the issue is in or before the reverse switch (ie, phono section and input selector switch). If the highs stay attenuated in your right channel then you will know the problem is after that switch...
 
Hi guy's,

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to change some caps and resistors,
and I ordered a Blue velvet alps with a fourth pin for a loudness tape,
it seems that the tracking of my new pot is pretty crapy, at low volumes
so I'm going to give that a shot as well, in the end it might be my right
ear I might be losing a bit of hearing in the high end a little. :tears:
What's a guy to do.

Tube
 
Hi guy's,

Thanks for the ideas, I'm going to change some caps and resistors,
and I ordered a Blue velvet alps with a fourth pin for a loudness tape,
it seems that the tracking of my new pot is pretty crapy, at low volumes
so I'm going to give that a shot as well, in the end it might be my right
ear I might be losing a bit of hearing in the high end a little. :tears:
What's a guy to do.

Tube


Where did you source the Alps pot?
 
This is the only recording that you have problems with? Did you try FM? AUX with a CD attached? Tape Deck on Tape? any problems there? try the recording on another setup. If it still doesn't have highs, then it's on the recording. If it has the high's it's in the original setup.

Larry
 
Hi all,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, here's some updates, I been using in
the X100 the Sonotones tubes With the Diamonds on the bottom I think there
Tele's , so I was playing the amp for a few hour and it was sounding a little to
smooth, so I switched the first two tubes to a pair of RCA's and put back in a set
of 6P14PEV's and when I put it back on it sounded way better, so in there now is
a pair of RCA's, Tele's, and a pair of mullards, and after a few hours it still
sounding good. Does anyone else have experience with the tele's being too
smooth or it just me, I know they go for a lot, but am I missing something.

Tube
 
Hi Don,
It seems to be, more listening needed, I also put in a new blue Alps volume
pot and that makes a huge difference in the sound. The NOS Centralab I got
the balance was worst than the old one that I had in there.

tube
 
Hi,
One more thing on the subject of the X100, I put a new switch on the rear, when
I turn it off there's a slight noise a little pop, on the X100 no pop! any ideas??

Tube
 
Hi,
One more thing on the subject of the X100, I put a new switch on the rear, when
I turn it off there's a slight noise a little pop, on the X100 no pop! any ideas??

Tube

Install a snubber across the switch. Strap it with a 1W 100ohm resistor and a .01uF X1/Y2 safety cap in series.

You can also install an MOV across your primary to help with switch pops.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062574

If the amp has a switched AC mains plug on the back that's where I but mine.

I am not smart this way, I learned this here at AK (reading).
 
Last edited:
Install a snubber across the switch. Strap it with a 1W 100ohm resistor and a .01uF X1/Y2 safety cap in series.

You can also install an MOV across your primary to help with switch pops.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062574

If the amp has a switched AC mains plug on the back that's where I but mine.

I am not smart this way, I learned this here at AK (reading).

Hi,
Thanks for the info, I found one last night and installed it between the
fuse and that first plug in the back and no :lurk:

Thanks again
Tube
 
Back
Top Bottom