• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fisher XP44B Speakers Need Help

ryanm74

Member
Hi, I just picked up a pair of Fisher XP44B speakers, and it looks like the cabinets are about all that is original. My research so far only tells me they might be based on a Wharfedale design. They have 6" woofers and 3" tweeters. If I wanted to refurbish these speakers, any ideas on what kind of drivers I should get? I know the original drivers would be hard to locate, but maybe I could get some recommendations on suitable replacements? I would like something similar to what would have been in them originally, but I don't even know what those are. Any help would be appreciated. I have not looked at the crossovers, but for now I will assume they are shot also. I am not trying to make a top notch audiophile speaker out of these, my budget does not allow it. I would like to make them useable again. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • DSC04566.jpg
    DSC04566.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 61
Register to hide this ad
I sure hope you didn't pay more than $ 10 for that pair of speaker cabinets! None of the drivers look original and nothing matches! I would expect the cross-over to be a capacitor on the tweeter lead and maybe a small choke coil.

My recommendation is to set these aside and purchase a better pair of speakers that are original and complete from either: a thrift store, CraigsList, or a garage sale. I just don't see anything worth putting money into with what you have.

One possibility - Find used, high quality co-axial car speakers that would fit the woofer cut-outs and run wires directly to them from the connection terminals and disconnect the tweeters mounted in the cabinets. Polk and Infinity car speakers usually sound pretty decent.
 
Oh, my.

Unfortunately, there is no way you can buy drivers for those, and end up with anything even remotely approaching something worth what you would pay for the drivers.

I know, that's kind of a convoluted English sentence, but, bottom line, just put them in the trash now. There's nothing you can do.

They are worth precisely zero.
 
Actually, one of the tweeters is the original Fisher, but everything else is replacement. I have already found a set of used Dahlquist tweeters and crossovers for cheap, I think I may buy them. I paid $6 (total) for these speakers. After looking around a bit for parts, my idea now is to rebuild them with more modern (used) parts and have cool looking retro speakers with modern parts. The cabinets and grills are in pretty good shape. I think I will be able to do what I want within my budget. These won't be my main speakers, I will probably use them in my bedroom on a tertiary system. I don't want to throw them away, I got them for almost nothing so I could do a fun project. Maybe that was not clear from my first post. Before anyone else recommends throwing them away, please know that I will not be doing that. Thank you for your responses.
 
I like your retro cabinet/modern horn idea. Maybe whatever those are in there are worth selling as parts for someone else. With a little luck they are from other sought after units.
 
Ya, that is what I am thinking. Maybe I can get $10 or more (both of the tweeters are working, as is other "woofer", the adc has a rotten surround). That would help cut the total cost. The sliver framed tweeter is actually fairly heavy an seems to be of ok quality, based on looks and weight. (whatever that is worth). Once I get this project finished, I will post some pics of the final product.
 
Back
Top Bottom