• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Floor or stands?

Tony ray

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
hey guys,
I’m been messing with my set up in the living room for a while now. I have a Sansui tu-7700 as my tuner, a newer 80ish 100watt Kenwood amp powering it until my au-7700 amp is repaired, and a Kenwood KD-3070 as my daily turntable(though I picked up a nice dual 1229 that might find its way in there.) for speakers I’ve picked up a few I was swapping in and out, I had some Klipsch r14s,Bose 301s, baby advents, hh Scott’s s-10a and I recently picked up some really nice Cerwin Vega D2s that I just refoamed. I’ve been really enjoying those lately, but have them sitting on the floor. Do you guys recommend stands for these? I think I read somewhere they are like 30 lbs each. I’ve seen a lot lower profile style stands setting them at a bit of an angle, and some taller stands that frankly I’m not sure I’d trust the CV D2s on. any advice would be appreciated l.
 
Register to hide this ad
Cerwin-Vega calls the D-2 a "Shelf Speaker":


So Cerwin-Vega does not intend for them to be on the floor. They should go on a stand.

Most (though not all) speakers sound best with the tweeter at or near ear level (for the listening position).

For sturdy stands, I recommend these from Monoprice:


Note, the price is per stand, not per pair.

You will want to carefully consider what height would be best for your speakers. I recommend trying the speakers on end tables or chairs or some other thing temporarily, to judge how you like how they sound at different heights, before you order stands.

I have a pair in 24" (which is the correct height for the speakers I have), and they are one of the sturdiest stands I have ever used or seen. I suspect that the weight limitation that they say are due to the spikes, not the overall structure, as the overall structure seems sturdier than some car jack stands that I have used.

Of course, if you prefer lower stands that angle, you can go that way if you prefer. I don't have any specific recommendation for them, as the ones I have seen and used are no longer made.
 
Cerwin-Vega calls the D-2 a "Shelf Speaker":


So Cerwin-Vega does not intend for them to be on the floor. They should go on a stand.

Most (though not all) speakers sound best with the tweeter at or near ear level (for the listening position).

For sturdy stands, I recommend these from Monoprice:


Note, the price is per stand, not per pair.

You will want to carefully consider what height would be best for your speakers. I recommend trying the speakers on end tables or chairs or some other thing temporarily, to judge how you like how they sound at different heights, before you order stands.

I have a pair in 24" (which is the correct height for the speakers I have), and they are one of the sturdiest stands I have ever used or seen. I suspect that the weight limitation that they say are due to the spikes, not the overall structure, as the overall structure seems sturdier than some car jack stands that I have used.

Of course, if you prefer lower stands that angle, you can go that way if you prefer. I don't have any specific recommendation for them, as the ones I have seen and used are no longer made.
thank you for the link! I'll do the end table first to check that out as well!
 
Plus 2 on using stands that put the tweeters at ear height, stands also gets the woofers away from the floor so the bass is not bouncing right off of the floor.

The other option, is to go to Home Depot and get some wood (cabinet grade plywood or solid oak, spruce, pine) cut to make your own solid wood stands. Can just use wood glue to put together if 1/2" thick or more, probably lots of stuff on web for making DYI speakers stands. The monoprice stands are nice, but wood stands with wood speaker cabinets would look nice too.

Just use a matched stain, and finish with a coat of polyurethane.

And always double coat end-grain wood with wood glue, end-grain soaks up glue, so wait 5 min. and re-coat before clamping, or using screws to hold together until glue dries.
 
Last edited:
Plus 2 on using stands that put the tweeters at ear height, stands also gets the woofers away from the floor so the bass is not bouncing right off of the floor.

The other option, is to go to Home Depot and get some wood (cabinet grade plywood or solid oak, spruce, pine) cut to make your own solid wood stands. Can just use wood glue to put together if 1/2" thick or more, probably lots of stuff on web for making DYI speakers stands. The monoprice stands are nice, but wood stands with wood speaker cabinets would look nice too.
I will look into that! like the idea about using wood!
 
Tweeters of all speakers need to be at ear level or at least aimed at ear level by tilting back.
 
Tweeters at ear level. Speakers away from the front wall.

FWIW, my stands weigh about 100 pounds each. Using 60-pound speakers with some blue tac are fine. Just keep big dogs and little kids away from them.

Lead shot loaded with dry sand over the lead shot. All lead would have been ridiculous.

Also base and top plate are damped with Dynamat.
 
Try the speakers in positions that are conducive to listening. There is no rule on stands. Many older small speakers were designed to be put on a bookshelf, i.e. with hemispherical radiation, and putting them on stands will attenuate the bass. Plus manufacturers don’t always recommend the best configurations. Experiment and see what’s best.
 
You want the tweeters and mids at ear height . Woofers should be close to the floor for better room gain. The mids should extend down to the 250 hz region if possible for best transient response reproduction. I prefer acoustic suspension designs for the lowest harmonic distortion possible and the copper magnetic shorting rings to reduce the distortion even further. I guess you could use stands to get the speakers up, and then move the speakers around for smoothest bass response and imaging. Or then add two subwoofer to cover the missing octave and a half or so if you can't find the ideal speaker and listening positions.
 
Back
Top Bottom