• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Floor standing vs bookshelf for same model

MNSLD2

Active Member
I am talking for the same model of the speaker but comparison of their floor standing vs bookshelf. For example ELAC B6 vs F6 or Unifi 5 vs F5. Or BS 22 vs FS52.
I personally found bookshelf speakers more crisp and sweeter (ofcourse more focused on midrange and highs) vs their big bros floorstanding where those midrange and highs seem get a bit cloudy or masked by lows.
Does bookshelf sound more musical compared to their floorstanding for the similar models for the similar sized room (i.e small size room 10x12ish sq ft.)
 
Register to hide this ad
Treated? As in? Just a normal room. I did the audition in a store for a floorstanding and their bookshelf. It was fo 685S B&W and their big bros floorstanding. To me bookshelf sounded a bit more prominent on highs and mids compared to floorstanding. Although the floorstanding were sound a tat of smoother due to more bass.
I was wondering the same about ELAC unifi or B6 models...
One more question. Does adding a sub to a bookshelf pair does the same job as that of the floorstanding for the same models? Or floorstanding will always be better choice than adding a sub to bookshelf?
 
Hi,

Your comparing chalk and cheese, and not the same model, the same model range.

The floorstanders go a lot louder, which you probably want for AV, whilst at modest
volumes, the smaller speakers sound better. There is no getting away from bigger
cabinets have more general problems than smaller cabinets at low volume full stop.

Of course the best speakers for a small room are relatively small. Good
stands are expensive but it is the best way to go usually, but not always.

rgds, sreren.
 
Hi,

Your comparing chalk and cheese, and not the same model, the same model range.

The floorstanders go a lot louder, which you probably want for AV, whilst at modest
volumes, the smaller speakers sound better. There is no getting away from bigger
cabinets have more general problems than smaller cabinets at low volume full stop.

Of course the best speakers for a small room are relatively small. Good
stands are expensive but it is the best way to go usually, but not always.

rgds, sreren.
Ok. Thanks for explaining that. I was actually thinking that if I am comparing apples and bananas.
It come to my thinking only for the reason that for similar models, the drivers and cross-over remains same. Basically the hardware and technology remains same, the only thing changes is the box size and additional speakers.
What you are saying in other words is floorstanding offers fuller range, better imaging and separation compared to bookshelf? For say B6 vs F6?
 
Hi,

......... There is no getting away from bigger
cabinets have more general problems than smaller cabinets at low volume full stop.........



rgds, sreren.


I think sreten is wrong, too, but only in that I would have left out the above phrase "at low volume". Harbeth is one manufacturer who consiously (and coherently) optimizes the cabinet resonance's contribution to the reproduction of audio. Which makes me wrong.
 
You are not getting what I am saying. When my point was about the room, I was suggesting that was why they sound different. Before I treated my room, all of my floorstanders sounded like crap.

Sreten is wrong, sorry to say it. There should be really no difference in the highs and mids, just extra bass extension.
What do you mean by "treating" the room? I dint really get you still :S
I am dumb... >_<
 
I'll always take a pair of floor standing speakers over a pair of bookshelf ones. Adding a sub to a pair of bookshelf does help, but still sounds a bit hollow compared to the floor standing speakers.
 
Poor bass quality will destroy whatever good midrange quality might exist in a given speaker design.
Perhaps many speaker companies have abandoned attempts at quality deep bass response to preserve the success of their midrange presentation, add to the fact it's a bit difficult to accomplish.
Perhaps it's a cop out as quality low frequency production will enhance any speaker system, the lower the better.
A good floorstander can easily out perform a good bookshelf, because of the bass response, imo.
 
Poor bass quality will destroy whatever good midrange quality might exist in a given speaker design.
Perhaps many speaker companies have abandoned attempts at quality deep bass response to preserve the success of their midrange presentation, add to the fact it's a bit difficult to accomplish.
Perhaps it's a cop out as quality low frequency production will enhance any speaker system, the lower the better.
A good floorstander can easily out perform a good bookshelf, because of the bass response, imo.
I completely agree about the bass. When I listen with speakers (as opposed to headphones which I historically prefer) if the bass isn't present enough to get the groove going, then it just becomes background noise to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom