• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

FM 200-B modification from Vacuum Tube Valley magazine

KiM3Ce

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
First the good news:

Past issues of the publication Vacuum Tube Valley can be seen here:


The bad news is there is no index.

I believe it was in that magazine I read about a modification for the 200-B. As I recall, the tuner has a cathode follower at the output, but many thought it sounded better with that bypassed. I see it on the schematic.

I found the Fisher history article, and the FM-100 article, but I think the article was an overall overview of the Fisher tube tuners.

If anyone can please point me to right edition of Vacuum Tube Valley, I would appreciate it! Thank you!
 
Register to hide this ad
First the good news:

Past issues of the publication Vacuum Tube Valley can be seen here:


The bad news is there is no index.

I believe it was in that magazine I read about a modification for the 200-B. As I recall, the tuner has a cathode follower at the output, but many thought it sounded better with that bypassed. I see it on the schematic.

I found the Fisher history article, and the FM-100 article, but I think the article was an overall overview of the Fisher tube tuners.

If anyone can please point me to right edition of Vacuum Tube Valley, I would appreciate it! Thank you!

 
I was close but not quite! In Issue 5, page 11 in the tuner shootout, the modification skipping the output stage was on the FM-1000, not the FM-200B. Thanks!
 
1707145248265.png

looks like this is what they removed

1707145075971.png

If the output level was too much I may have considered making the EF86 run in triode mode, or perhaps bypassing just that stage but leaving the cathode follower. I like the low output impedance you get from a follower stage.
 
Back
Top Bottom