• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

FM frequncy range of Sansui Digital Tuners ( Alpha Tuners TU α Series )

frend2001

Active Member
Hi,

I'm planning to get a tuner for my Sansui Amp.

I've been searching online sites but couldn't get anything matching in my budget.

On Yahoo Japan auctions there are many α tuners at mouth watering prices but since Japan FM range is 76 to 90 ~ MHz, it won't make sense.

All japanese analog tuners FM range ends at 88 Mhz.

I am curious whether the later Sansui α series digital tuners go untill 106 MHz.

Does any body have any Sansui α series JDM tuner who can confirm this ?

Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
I like to match components as much as I can.
I got the TU-a707R tuners to match my AU-a907.
These tuners do not go past 90mhz.

On a positive note, automotive fm frequency shifters do work with them. You can tune in stations but the digital readout numbers will not match. With memory presets not having the proper station numbers wont matter much.

The non-jdm match are the TU-X701 and TU-X711. They are very hard to find. Never mind the high cost when you do find them.
 
Other tuners that would match are the TU-X301/501 and TU-X301i. The TU-X301i can be had for cheap and is not a bad tuner. It's a good match to the AU-G99X too. I have had a couple and still have one. It was in use until I found my rare, over priced, TU-X711. :)
 
The only exception I'm aware of in JDM component having a full range FM broadcast band is the R11 receiver. It tunes 76-108Mhz, thereby covering both the Japanese and Internationally used standards for FM. Based on a recent discussion in another thread here, it would appear the front end pack used is different based upon the frequency range intended to be received. Some modern digital tuners may have a jumper that is either bridged, or opened, somewhere on the tuner circuit board that determine whether the receiver band is for the Japanese or international market, but that is not assured in all cases. Sometimes the hardware is just hard limited to the short FM band, with no way to change it.

Bottom line, don't buy a JDM tuner expecting to easily convert it. If that were the case, it would've been figured out a while ago, and those in the know would've been importing JDM tuners already for precisely that purpose.
 
Bottom line, don't buy a JDM tuner expecting to easily convert it. If that were the case, it would've been figured out a while ago, and those in the know would've been importing JDM tuners already for precisely that purpose.
Very good advice! And my 2 cents: ANY analog tuner can be rebuild to the 88-108 MHz range, the question is at what cost and effort of this operation (I will omit it....) With digital tuners, this is a lottery - if the model has a US/Euro analog, then it can most likely to be rebuilt, if there is no analogue, then this is a lottery with a 50-50 probability.
 
It's funny, one of my wishlist items is a TAC-505 receiver, which was exclusive to the Japanese market. It is set for 76-90 MHz FM band, but I've come to discover it uses the same IF board and front end pack as the 350A receiver. So, I've scavenged those parts from a 350A with the expectation that I'll eventually get a TAC-505 and convert the tuner for 88-108. The dial scale appears to have been adapted from the TU-666, so I'll use that as a template to make a new dial scale to match the new FM frequency range. If I actually get it done, it'll be a one of a kind.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom