• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

For fun: Mystery Amp

still not identified.

But it does sound like the same family (but an improvement over) as my old 80wpc Parasound HCA 750--low low noise floor, ever so slightly bass-weighted, fast, detailed, but silky smooth upper mids with good sources on the Dahlquists. Para couldn't really handle the 150w DQ-12s, this one may be up for the DQ-20's; The bottom half of a bi-amped setup anyway.

I've only tried it in Class A mode so far. Minimalist controls...

But this toroid is 10 x bigger; the caps are 3-4x bigger...with lots more OOOmph ... it doesn't poop out in the mid-highs in complex dynamic segments. Wanna compare it to the Parasound 2250, about the same sized toroid in it (but more gain stages?) Even looks like the same supplier...waxy plastic around that doughnut.

And minimalist? No controls at all. Not even volume! On/off switch probably was a debated point... :scratch2:
 
Nakamichi?

The toroid is not covered like the stasis, and the heat sink s are too small for one... but there are a few similarities, so maybe a lesser model Nak?

That or maybe a Sony? [My "out there" guess. :D ]
 
Answer! partially.

What say S.A.E.?

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

SAE it is! Which model?

Entirely possible it was the last ever SAE made in the U.S.A. These have SAE 37 on the boards and USA caps etc. so maybe it was made before the DAK buyout, sold after.

800 W current draw, 100 wpc Class A/200 wpc Class AB1 switch. Don't know any other amp with that.
 

Attachments

  • Outside.JPG
    Outside.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 87
Thought Stewie would see it since there's SAE in the signature file...

This 'mystery' thread didn't drag on too long but lots of people saw it; so maybe my hint level is getting refined. I've got another speaker that's ahem obscure...

This is my first SAE, not one of the ultraheavy/high watt/ high-excitement models but it delivers where it counts. :) :D

Haven't spotted any Soundcraftsmen in my price range.
 
:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

SAE it is! Which model?

Entirely possible it was the last ever SAE made in the U.S.A. These have SAE 37 on the boards and USA caps etc. so maybe it was made before the DAK buyout, sold after.

800 W current draw, 100 wpc Class A/200 wpc Class AB1 switch. Don't know any other amp with that.



Should be the A205.
 
Thought Stewie would see it since there's SAE in the signature file...

This 'mystery' thread didn't drag on too long but lots of people saw it; so maybe my hint level is getting refined. I've got another speaker that's ahem obscure...

This is my first SAE, not one of the ultraheavy/high watt/ high-excitement models but it delivers where it counts. :) :D

Haven't spotted any Soundcraftsmen in my price range.

Crud! I shouda, coulda, woulda. I just buttoned up the A-202 the other day. Poo! I've never heard an SAE Class A, ever, mighty nice find :banana::banana: Does WardsWeb know about this?? I looked on Luther's site and I didn't see it.
stu
 
Only 1 of the 3 main SAE sites mentions it. Still no specs or details.

Maybe they don't think it's a real SAE because it was after the DAK buyout. But it was made in California, shouldn't that count?

Probably I shouldn't make a big deal about Class A since the transition point for my others switch high anyway, 40 w? I'll check. Anybody detect a difference with the Class A stuff? I'll do a search.

One user reported this one getting hot. Mine runs cool as a cucumber! Running within spec I guess.

Listening to these 4-8 ohm rated Magnat All-Ribbon 6PII's and it sounds tremendous.

6p%203e%20versie.jpg


Yes it is the A205, my pic seems to agree...
 
Back
Top Bottom