• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

FOR THOSE SHIPPING SX 1010's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 1010 in today, guess what, bad packing, and a hack job on the power supply...3 breaks in the board, and wires not even attached to the correct pins...lots of work ahead.:yes:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 50
Good lord, what a mess.
Wouldn't even mess around trying to repair that board with the all of the original components mounted. Especially with all of the bad looking solder joints that
are present. Best just to 1. strip the board of its components, removing all of the old solder. 2. clean the board making sure there is no flux or residue left.
3. repair the cracks, I've used super glue with good results 4. address the broken foil traces, don't just run solder across them. 5. New set of components.


Got ya beat. Board stripped, Gorilla glue applied, gonna let it sit overnight then rebuild tomorrow. Pulled all caps, diodes, and transistors, also heatsink.
 
Got ya beat. Board stripped, Gorilla glue applied, gonna let it sit overnight then rebuild tomorrow. Pulled all caps, diodes, and transistors, also heatsink.

Excellent, I deleted my last post. Wasn't sure if you would even consider what I was proposing given how extensive it is.
 
Extensive yes but better than trying to find a donor in good shape. Not easy to do. This receiver is a mess, there are wires everywhere. Thank god for schematics.
 
Extensive yes but better than trying to find a donor in good shape. Not easy to do. This receiver is a mess, there are wires everywhere. Thank god for schematics.

I suppose it was listed as being a "very nice" receiver along with all the work performed. :D
 
Actually it was listed on eBay as "beautiful condition looks new, will not power up". I made an offer and they accepted. I have the board fully assembled thanks to Gorilla Glue, hookup wire in place and all components installed on the board, now just have to hook up about 18 wires. After that check for more issues before flipping the switch.
 
Last edited:
If you need photos of the wiring and how it is laid out let me know. I have a 1010 with the bottom off waiting for me to locate a slight buzz/ hum in the pre amp section.
 
Last edited:
If you need photos of the wiring and how it is laid out let me know. I have a 1010 with the bottom off waiting for me to locate a slight buzz/ hum in the pre amp section.
Thanks Craxx,got the wiring diagram off the schematic, thanks for the offer. I should be firing up shortly, done with the power supply, now rebuilding the power amps, then on to other locations.
 
Actually, medium density styrofoam sheets (like coffee cups) are ideal for shipping Monster receivers like the SX-1010. Construction grade styrofoam is rock hard and will cause grief.

Never use shipping popcorn for heavy items. Popcorn will crush and allow the heavy item to flop around and eventually come into contact with the box. Again, grief everytime.

The OP uses the wrong type of bubble wrap. Large cell bubble wrap is the only way to ship. And there is not enough styrofoam sheets. I fit at least two inches all the way around.

Read my originals posts again, please. Layers shown are the 1st layer. An additional 2" layer of Large Bubble was used, then 3/4" thick 12"x36" sheets (wall stud insulation) was used in at least 2" in all dimensions to fill the internal box. Then an additional 2" in all dimensions between the boxes. The knob shafts and all interferences on the back and front were either shaped into the styrofoam or cut out around them to keep pressure off them. I spent approx 3 hours just wrapping it to fit in the inner box, with another hour to fit in the outer box. When done it was all in a 24"x25"x21" box and weighed 58#.

IME, this has worked. Wrap with bubble wrap first. Apply at least two complete wraps. Line the inside of the box with styrofoam sheets. Place item within sheets so that there is no space and no give. The sheets will maintain box shape. Removing the tuner knob on glass dials is a good idea, although I have found this to be not necessary with plastic lens receivers.

I have shipped dozens of heavy amps and receivers including the SX-1980, three Marantz 2500's, and even the SX-1010 and all made it, some from coast to coast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom