• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

For those who run a DAC or DACs- what do you own?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
Curious to hearcwhat DACs you are running.

Currently, I run a Parasound D/AC 1000, an EAD DSP-1000, and a PS Audio Superlink II.

Past units have been an Adcom GCD 600, an EnTech 105.2, and a Sony DAT with bypassable controls that could be used as a DAC.


Optical cables have been the GLASS brand.

Digital cables- a variety.
 
Register to hide this ad
Here's a nude of my Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09.
21cae1f9.jpg

It also doubles as a Buffer amp, tube headphone amp and source switcher.
 
I'm just rocking two Entechs, the 203.2 and the 205.2, half-hoping to someday net a 245.2.




The 205.2 is a nice sounding unit.

Problem I had with it was power supply noise being picked up as interference byveither my interconnects or speaker wire.

Would not have been an issue if I was able to keep the power supply at a further distance- nut the setup at the time did not allow this.
 
The less expensive options

Valabs NOS DAC and MCM 7510 Oversampling DAC (which I understand is the 1st generation Beresford as an OEM) Very cheap units, combined price is $300.

Either one sound pretty good to me, but I have not heard the more expensive ones. I can say either one sounds MUCH better than my old PS Audio Digital Link, and better than whatever is used internally in my NAD CD player or Squeezebox Duet.
 
Analog Devices AD-1955 evaluation board powered by two gel batteries. It's a raw (uncased) circuit board sitting on the table with wires connected and cables plugged in. :)
 
I have the Entech 205.2 and very much like it. It was immediately apparent to me when I connected it to my system. The first thing that hit me was the space created around the instruments. I also connected to my tape input so I could A/B it and even readjusting for the higher output from the DAC, the difference was appreciable. I still gaze longingly at the Cambridge 640 V2 tho....
 
I have a couple of units:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09

I use digital out from Denon and Carver CDPlayers via coaxial into the DACs.

I also use a USB cable to an old laptop for playback - .WAV and lossless .WMA files.
 
Audio Research DAC-1. I love it, but these days it would be considered rudimentary, I s'pose.:scratch2:
 
I have a couple of units:

Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09

I use digital out from Denon and Carver CDPlayers via coaxial into the DACs.

I also use a USB cable to an old laptop for playback - .WAV and lossless .WMA files.

You need to update your signature to include your DAC's :).
 
I have one of these on the way. How do you like it?

It's a huge upgrade for streaming audio.

The buffer amp works really well, I have a turntable in it's own huge cab that sits a distance from the amp so I use it's buffered line driver so that my amp doesn't see the load for a huge sound upgrade.

The headphone amp is excellent.

As an external DAC it's about the same as my cdp's, but I already thought they sounded pretty darn good.
 
McIntosh MDA700

I was pretty happy with the DAC in my CD changer, but had heard slightly better from a single play CD/SACD player that I had when I bought the changer. The MDA700 is really good, probably as good as I'll ever have in my system.
The sound is detailed, dynamic, and not at all harsh.
I am mildly curious about the ESS-based Buffalo DAC...
 
Back
Top Bottom