• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, is it a real amp?

rochester21

Active Member
I heard someone mention these in another thread and i looked them up, apparently there is a new generation of cheap affordable amps i had no idea existed until yesterday. I am interested in getting a Fosi Audio BT20A Pro because i am contemplating moving in with my girllfriend sometime next year and she kind of banned me from bringing in my audio gear, i can maybe squeeze in a pair of Dali Zensor 3 and this mini amp in the house, but does it actually work or is it just junk? For reference, i have a midi Denon DRA-F102 but it doesn`t have a bluetoth link and since i can`t use my traditional sources because of the space constraint, phone+ bluetooth is the way to go here.

Should i just buy a bluetooth adapter for the Denon or are the Fosi amps real(as in "not cheap disposable junk"? I`m not looking for Accuphase level sound quality, just need to know if they are built like any decent amp from a reputable company. Any views are appreciated, thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
SMSL also make very good small amps.

I have their SA300 amp in my office system and for the money, it’s a cracking amp.
IMG_1175.jpeg
DG…
 
These are typically class D amps using TI chips. They're sold by many different manufacturers, Fosi is probably the most well-known brand. They can perform quite well, but take the output ratings with a grain of salt if the power supply isn't powerful enough (figure 90+% efficiency, which is why they also don't need much in the way of cooling or ventilaton).
 
Yes, you’re correct, Class D Amps. This is the chip SMSL state they use.

IMG_1176.jpeg
Mind you, Linn DSMs are also Class D Amps and their prices are a bit more.

DG…
 
Get a good power supply. Try to feed your amp at the max rating. The money you saved buying a small class D should be put towards the best speakers you can afford. I have no idea the longevity of these systems.

Enjoy the music.
 

See Audio Science Review site for technical performance information.

Short answer. Yes, it's a real amplifier. Buy it on Amazon and easily return it if you disagree.
 
I would guess that in the OP's situation, Bluetooth, and perhaps tone controls, might be more important than balanced inputs and improved heat dissipation.
 
I would guess that in the OP's situation, Bluetooth, and perhaps tone controls, might be more important than balanced inputs and improved heat dissipation.
This is easy to rectify with an inexpensive, or expensive, DAC. I use a SMSL C100 that works quite well and gives multi input capability with a remote control. It would pair quite well with an amp like the ZA3. Plus, the ZA3 has a sub out connection that is tied to the volume control if the OP ever wants to add one to his system.
 
Last edited:
This is easy to rectify with an inexpensive, or expensive, DAC. I use a SMSL C100 that works quite well and gives multi input capability with a remote control. It would pair quite well with an amp like the ZA3. Plus, the ZA3 has a sub out connection that is tied to the volume control if the OP ever wants to add one to his system.

I think he intends to use his phone for streaming, and wants to minimize the amount of equipment involved.

Personally, if I was going to add another box in the OP's scenario, it would be an integrated streamer/DAC...such as the Wiim Pro Plus. Pretty good DAC and avoids Bluetooth impact on sound quality.

In any case, he should now understand that Fosi makes very good little Class D amps that should be strongly considered for his application.
 
Last edited:
I am a big fan of Class-D amps as they certainly bring plenty of joy. That said, Bluetooth does not sound good. I don't have the Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, but a good friend does and the Bluetooth sounds particularly harsh to me. There is no joy there.

A Wiim Mini would work just the same, but sound much better.
 
I am a big fan of Class-D amps as they certainly bring plenty of joy. That said, Bluetooth does not sound good. I don't have the Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, but a good friend does and the Bluetooth sounds particularly harsh to me. There is no joy there.

A Wiim Mini would work just the same, but sound much better.
I appreciate your input, I agree that Bluetooth is not ideal for HiFI applications.
Maybe adding the matching CD player to the Denon F102 would be a better solution, despite losing the convenience of Bluetooth.
 
I think he intends to use his phone for streaming, and wants to minimize the amount of equipment involved.

Personally, if I was going to add another box in the OP's scenario, it would be an integrated streamer/DAC...such as the Wiim Pro Plus. Pretty good DAC and avoids Bluetooth impact on sound quality.

In any case, he should now understand that Fosi makes very good little Class D amps that should be strongly considered for his application.
So I should get a DAC instead. I already have the Denon mini amp.

Thanks for the input.
 
So I should get a DAC instead. I already have the Denon mini amp.

Thanks for the input.

My point was not so much about the DAC. The streamer uses wifi, vs Bluetooth...better sound quality. But it does include a DAC as well (vs needing two different boxes).

On that topic; you are likely to be just as happy with a Wiim Pro as with the Pro Plus. The DAC in the Pro Plus tests better, but this does not translate to notably better sound quality, at least not to my ears.

Regarding CD player solution; I don't see it as comparable to streaming. The libraries of the big music services have 100M+ songs, yet take up no physical space...which seems to be an important criteria for you.

I can see no reason to buy another amp if the Denon meets your needs
 
Last edited:
My point was not so much about the DAC. The streamer uses wifi, vs Bluetooth...better sound quality. But it does include a DAC as well (vs needing two different boxes).

On that topic; you are likely to be just as happy with a Wiim Pro as with the Pro Plus. The DAC in the Pro Plus tests better, but this does not translate to notably better sound quality, at least not to my ears.

Regarding CD player solution; I don't see it as comparable to streaming. The libraries of the big music services have 100M+ songs, yet take up no physical space...which seems to be an important criteria for you.

I can see no reason to buy another amp if the Denon meets your needs
Thanks, but streaming services don't have the music I listen to.
Much like Netflix. Netflix barely has a few movies I know and love, the rest are just....I don't know what they are.
 
You must listen to some pretty rare music!

Didn't you initially say you would be using your phone as source? I thought that meant you would be streaming.

Or maybe your music is only available on CD/LP, and you are ripping from that media and then storing it on your phone for playback?
 
Last edited:
I have a BT20 that I purchased to power Klipsch RB-5ii's in a little "portable" system I cooked up to provide background music while I did the interior finish out in my dedicated listening space. It sounds good enough for something like that and was 100% reliable after 18 months of use in that capacity. I'm doubtful of the power output claim, however. The RB-5's are fairly high sensitivity and still I couldn't get it as loud as other class AB amps or class D amps of similar or slightly less power I've used with those speakers without significant distortion. That may or may not be an issue depending on your intended use.
 
Back
Top Bottom