• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Fosi Audio DS3 Headphone Amplifier - Personal HandsOn Review

Losslessbbop

New Member
Banned
I’m a guy who loves music, really feels it. I don’t chase gear specs for the sake of it, I just want quality that makes music come alive. Over the past few weeks I’ve been putting the Fosi DS3 through its paces with music, games, measurements, and repeated listening sessions to figure out what it actually does in the real world.


IMG_0143.jpeg


Here’s my honest breakdown, technical, personal, and practical.





What is worth mentioning





Few days ago had a trip together with some friends for a workshop, and during this whole trip I used the DS3 together with my Alba or even my HD600. There was not a single person that hadn’t asked about the product because of its design. And this is corporative world, which means, even being a “gamer” labelled product, it still sober and classy.





My Testing Setup





Sources:





• Asus ROG Ally X - daily driver for PC/portable gaming





• iPhone 16 Pro - mobile listening





Amps/DACs:





• Fosi K7 - my trusty desktop amp





• Apple dongle - baseline comparison with phone





• Fosi DS3 - the subject





Headphones:





• Sennheiser HD600 - main testing headphones





• Meze Alba - my goto recommendation for the DS3’s portable use





• Beyerdynamics DT770, Master Dynamics MD50 - owned, but not used in formal tests





Past reference gear in similar category:





• Qudelix 5K





• Moondrop Down 2





• Fosi k7





• Topping dx3 pro +





Microphone (for dB measurements): Razer Siren, same mic, same conditions, every test.





Music I used for tests:





• Daft Punk - Instant Crush





• Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit





• Daft Punk - Veridis Quo





• Emerson Palmer - Luckyman





• Aiba - On the End





• Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love





• Angra - Time





• Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears





• CKY - 96 Quite Bitter Beings





• Berserk - Inferno





Technical & Feature Summary





The Fosi DS3 is a compact, USBCpowered DAC and headphone amp that brings significant audio improvement over direct headphone outputs on phones and laptops. It’s built around components you normally see on much larger and pricier units:





Key Tech Specs





• DAC Chip: ESS Sabre ES9039Q2M - low noise, wide dynamic range.





• USB Processor: XMOS XU316 for stable, lowlatency handling across devices.





• Supported Formats: PCM up to 32bit/768 kHz, native DSD512.





• Outputs: 3.5 mm singleended + 4.4 mm balanced.





• Power: up to 220 mW @ 32 Ω, enough to drive many overear headphones.





• Audio Features: hardwarelevel 7.1 spatial audio + FPS positional mode.





• PlugandPlay: no drivers or software needed.





Build & Design





• Ultracompact, CNCmachined aluminium housing with tempered glass window.





• No app required to use: volume, gain, filters, and gaming modes controlled ondevice.





Sound Quality & Power: Music Listening / Tests





Across all my test tracks, the DS3 gave me a noticeable improvement over the iPhone or Apple dongle alone (In terms of pure power and volume was about 8% louder than apple dongle). With my HD600, after lots of backtoback sessions I’d estimate an ~20% improvement in clarity, separation, and overall musical fulfillment (You can see in the graph that the DS3 holds a more stable line through the measurement).





Gaming: What I Played & How It Felt





I tested the DS3 with several games to see how its spatial and game modes actually perform:





• Forza Horizon





• Genshin Impact





• Death Stranding





• Elden Ring





• Dark Souls 3





• RuneScape: Dragon Wilds





• Outerwilds





Games that support spatial audio really shine here, letting you pick up engine direction, ambient cues or environmental immersion more clearly than stock outputs. I would specially mention Forza horizon and Outerwilds. These games were made to be played with a nice pair of headphones properly powered by something like the DS3





I don’t play FPS’s normally, but the FPS mode is meant to emphasizes footsteps and directional cues in competitive scenarios, not just louder, but designed to give you a sense of where sound is happening.





Battery Usage (iPhone)





I did some tests comparing the iPhone using only the Apple dongle versus the DS3. Honestly, the difference in battery drain was not even measurable in real world use, meaning you get all that sonic improvement without sacrificing battery life.





Comparisons With similar gear I’ve Used





• Qudelix 5K: It is a different product category. It’s a Bluetooth/DAC combo with more customization, not a direct competitor, however, I understand most people like me, would need to pick one (Would be hard to make my wife let me buy more small audiophile products that do the same thing lol) so I want to give my 2 cents: Qudelix is versatile while DS3 gives you more power in the standard output and also offers you 7.1 audio. Honestly, I don’t normally use my HD600 with qudelix, I don’t feel it is “powered” enough, with the DS3 I felt different, sometimes I don’t even use my desktop dacs anymore, I just keep the DS3 plugged into my HD600 and that’s it.





• Moondrop Down 2: The DS3 easily outperforms the Down 2 in raw power, dynamic range, and highres support. Down 2 is good for IEMs but doesn’t have the muscle, filters, or gaming features the DS3 brings.





Pros





• Portable and simple plugandplay use





• Minimal power draw





• 4.4MM port (This one got me)





Cons / Opportunity to Improve





• Fosi should provide a bigger USB-C cable, sometimes it felt weird when the DS3 was hanging on something held by the small USBC provided





• Some game modes are optional extras, not core to all users





• No screen. Here this could really shine but also could compromise the battery consumption, so I will just leave it as a mention





Bottom Line





For anyone who likes music and plays games without wanting a bulky desktop stack, the Fosi DS3 hits a sweet spot. It’s portable, powerful enough, and gives tangible improvements.





After spending lots of time packing and trying to make some other equipment like the Fosi K7 or the topping dx3 portable during trips, I feel I found a spot on replacement.IMG_0086.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Back
Top Bottom