• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Foster fe-163 drivers. Opinions and knowledge please

Jcricket

not someday, but today
Subscriber
fe-163(2).JPG fe-163(3).JPG Hey Folks,
I ran across four speakers today. The muntz fcs-164. These each have a foster fe-163 driver, and a foster tweeter in them. It appears they are xover at 8k,

I did some googling and found a website that had a little info. It was all I could find. I have posted below what I could find.

Anyone know about these drivers, any opinions on them, any actual specs available on them?
Thanks
Mark
Rating of a mode
System 160mm full-range speaker unit
Play frequency band fo-16,000Hz
The minimum resonance frequency (fo) 40Hz - 60Hz
Impedance 8ohm, 16ohm, 200ohm
Output sound pressure level 98dB
The maximum input 10W (nominal value 5W)
Cavity magnetic flux density 10,000gauss
The total magnetic flux 49,500maxwell
Equivalent oscillating radius 6.5cm
Vibration-system equivalent mass 6g
Qo 0.3
Aperture 160mm
Baffle bore diameter 140phimmm
Dimensions Width 166x depth of 137.5mm
Weight 1.260kg
fe-163(3).JPG fe-163(2).JPG
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I hyave been in touch with Dave over at planet 10 hi-fi. I was looking to build a transmission line speaker. They have some plans for frugal horns. One of which is suitable(barely) for these foster drivers. Also, Dave told me, they are currently working on plans for the fe-163 driver. Hmm...................
mark
 
I just finsihed giving these an audition. The speakers are in a set of Muntz bookshelf speakers. The bass is lacking, to be expected with speakers of this size. My hearing is too poor to give a fair comment on the highs. But the mids, well WOW. I mean really, WOW. It has been a long time since I have a piano sound this good. THe harps were amazing as well. I was using some traditional celtic music to evaluate. The female voices were incredible as well.
I did some a/b and a+b with a set of ewaves built with jbl woofers in a jbl cabinet. The literature puts the jbl's as 99db spl/watt. I think these little guys are very close to the same. With the a+b I could clearly hear the Muntz speakers.

I just a got a listen of some lower male voices. Gulp, swallow, whoa!!

I think these Muntz speakers would be hard to beat in a small office near field environment, espically if paired with a sub to get to the lows.
Bottom line, I am extremely happy with the performance of these foster drivers in those little boxes.
 
I just finsihed giving these an audition. The speakers are in a set of Muntz bookshelf speakers. The bass is lacking, to be expected with speakers of this size. My hearing is too poor to give a fair comment on the highs. But the mids, well WOW. I mean really, WOW. It has been a long time since I have a piano sound this good. THe harps were amazing as well. I was using some traditional celtic music to evaluate. The female voices were incredible as well.
I did some a/b and a+b with a set of ewaves built with jbl woofers in a jbl cabinet. The literature puts the jbl's as 99db spl/watt. I think these little guys are very close to the same. With the a+b I could clearly hear the Muntz speakers.

I just a got a listen of some lower male voices. Gulp, swallow, whoa!!

I think these Muntz speakers would be hard to beat in a small office near field environment, espically if paired with a sub to get to the lows.
Bottom line, I am extremely happy with the performance of these foster drivers in those little boxes.
I have pair of those .. they sound incredible… I am looking to find plans for horn cabinet for them … foster / fostex are great speakers
 
Back
Top Bottom