• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fostex 280 motor defective? Tips on external testing wanted.

TrevorBarten

Well-Known Member
The capstan motor doesn't seem to be doing anything. I tested it with play engaged with all possible combinations of the micro switches, both pressed, both depressed, one pressed one depressed and vice versa. I would like to test it with an external power source but I don't know how to considering the A and B pads. I tried to switch the cables over from the fast forward motor (10 volts DC). And that did nothing. See pictures below for a reference.

DSC_3194.JPGDSC_3195.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Wherever you can find one. Fostex parts and service support wasn't the best. This looks like a Mabuchi DC motor, commonly used on many cassette decks of the era. Hopefully you can find a good motor to replace yours.
 
Wherever you can find one. Fostex parts and service support wasn't the best. This looks like a Mabuchi DC motor, commonly used on many cassette decks of the era. Hopefully you can find a good motor to replace yours.

It is EG-530KD-2B 1600/3200rpm. Not a common motor. I would try to disassemble it and restore. If it is not fried, brushes could be replaced (but I am not sure) with brushes from another Mabuchi of 530 series what can be found new on ebay very cheap.
 
Back
Top Bottom