• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fostex Banana Pulp Drivers?

Yes I'm not sure why they are so expensive. I would think aluminum plated with brass would have maybe been cheaper to make(and sell).
 
I have built several Fostex Based systems bused on the FX200, FE167E and FE166ES-R. All are, IMHO, exceptional. I driven them with both ss and tubes. Some websites to check out:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/

http://www.diyaudio.com (The full range forum under loud speakers)

The BIB thread on DIYaudio.com is especially interesting. Haven't buiit one yet but may be my next project. My current speakers are a pair of Fostex FE166ES-R backloaded horns with T90A supertweeter. I augment the low end with a DIY Seas sub similiar to the Cain and Cain Baily. Absolutely wonderful combo.

The Fostex 206 ESR is reputed to be a very special driver and if I had the cash I would pick up pair. The Factory recommend horn is supposed to be very good once tweeked in. If you go the Fostex route expect a significant breakin periord.... 300-600 hours is not considered unusual. They can sound quite bad out of the box.

If you are interested in some unusual horn design check out Ron's horn designs on the Full Range Driver Fourm. Ron's design are supposed to be very very good with solid math behind the designs.

Martin King also has a very good MLTL on his website for the FE207E and FE206E which are also supposed to be very good. Although, using the 206E in a MLTL is probably not the best as it is designed to be used in a horn.

Food for thought.

Bill
 
I expected them to sound high and harsh for a while. I noticed the mouth of the horns for the sigma series is just below the driver but Terry Cain built his horns like the FE206ES-R's, with the mouth at the floor. Besides a nicer look (IMO) is there a difference?
 
Of the systems you built, were any horn designs? Im curious of how efficient they are compared to a regular bass reflex design and wether they sound different.:D
 
The FE166ES-R are backloaded horn and are very efficient. I think they are rated at 96db or there abouts. IMO, they have a very wide open dynamic sound and don't sound boxy. It proabably took them the better part of year to settle in. Do a search on DIY audio on the FE206ESR and for the FE166ES-R for others who have built these system who are much more eloquent then I am.

Good luck,

Bill
 
Thanks alot Cosmos! I've been to this site a few times and really like the stand up subwoofer.
I found some plans for the FE168ES and there seems to be a few variations in the designs. The first design is the D37 and it says the the FE166ES-R will work in this horn.The last two pictures are another design of which has a horn similar to that of the FE206ES-R. Does anyone know of the reason for the variations?
 

Attachments

  • 050516-02[1].jpg
    050516-02[1].jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Dsc000051[1].jpg
    Dsc000051[1].jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCFE168ES21[1].jpg
    DSCFE168ES21[1].jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Very critical. Again, the best advise I can give you is to spend a lot of time reading the threads on DIYaudio, Full Range Driver Forum, and Martin King's Quarterwave website. A poorly designed horn will sound like S___T. If you choose to go the Fostex route consider the Furgel Horn (ref DIY Audio) or one of Ron Clark's designs from the Full Range Driver forum. If you want to buy a horn I have read that the Horn Shope makes a decent one, although I have never heard one. I think you can read about them at Audio Circle.

I hve no comment on the pics you posted.

Bill
 
Back
Top Bottom