• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fostex P1000E Speaker Kit?

1ADSarge

Der Bürgermeister
Subscriber
I am considering picking up this DIY kit offered on Madisound here: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...0e-diy-kanspea-4-full-range-speaker-kit-pair/
I am considering buying the kit with the FE103-SOL Limited Edition drivers. Can I get some feedback about what to expect from these, how they sound, if it's worth the money ($188 to my door), etc. This will be my first full rangers and it will be replacing a pair of Energy CB5s in my office at work and will be powered by a DIY 50wpc TPA3116 amp/6N3 tube preamp combo. If they are to my liking, I will probably replace my B&W DM-601 S3s I'm currently using in my home office. I'd eventually want to find a low powered, small tube amp to run them. Many thanks for any info!

Cheers,
Jared

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have them and they are amazing little speakers. You'll be very pleased with them. Drive them with a Musical Paradise 301.
 
I have them and they are amazing little speakers. You'll be very pleased with them. Drive them with a Musical Paradise 301.

Thanks for the input! Great suggestion on the tube amp and great price!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Price seems good.
But Fostex performances can vary markedly between models.
Some are outstanding performers while their brothers .. may not be :-)
Suggest doing a bit more research into Full Ranger forums as to which of the
Fostex drivers are the Current 'pick of the litter' drivers and their recommended Boxes then act accordingly.
A bit of info can go a looong way at this stage.
 
Price seems good.
But Fostex performances can vary markedly between models.
Some are outstanding performers while their brothers .. may not be :-)
Suggest doing a bit more research into Full Ranger forums as to which of the
Fostex drivers are the Current 'pick of the litter' drivers and their recommended Boxes then act accordingly.
A bit of info can go a looong way at this stage.

Can anyone speak on the Fostex Special 50th Anniversary FE103-SOL Limited Edition 4" Full Range Drivers?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Just got the speaker kit today and have been playing them for quite a few hours. I have to say I'm quite impressed. I'm using the cabinets that came in the kit for a few weeks until my custom cabs arrive but the mids and highs are stunning and when combined with a proper subwoofer, it is quite magical. This was well worth the asking price in my opinion.
 
OK. Maybe it's just me, but I'll ask anyway.

If you are having custom cabinets made, why didn't you just get the drivers?

Seems like you wasted money on cabinets that are going to be replaced.

Care to explain? :scratch2:
 
OK. Maybe it's just me, but I'll ask anyway.

If you are having custom cabinets made, why didn't you just get the drivers?

Seems like you wasted money on cabinets that are going to be replaced.

Care to explain? :scratch2:

Because the speakers themselves were about $30 less than buying the whole kit. I figure, why not get the kit so I can start their 100hr break in period since it won't be till the end of this month when I get the cabs. Plus, I was just impatient :D
 
Impatient. Now, that I UNDERSTAND. :D Been there many times. :yes:

100hours. Man, that's a lot of play time. As you play them, are you noticing a difference in the sound quality?

I didn't realize the package deal was only a couple bucks difference. 15 bucks each for a pre-made box, wire, damping, and the terminals, that's a no-brainer. I didn't bother to check the driver price alone. MY BAD. :D

So what are you going to do with the spare boxes? Find a set of drivers for them?

Maybe look at these: http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w4-992c-4-subwoofer-2-ohm--299-825

And this: http://www.parts-express.com/technics-req0251-1-100w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--309-046

Get 2 of the sub drivers, use the spare boxes, and wire them in parallel to the amp. Boxes are just about (slightly larger) the right volume, and if ported ( with the correct length and size tube), could probably get into the upper 40's.

Might be a fun project for the Fostex to fill out the bottom end.
 
That sounds like a good idea Phil. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the old cabs so your suggestion is a good one. I think I'm going to order a second pair of these FE103-SOL drivers as well as another pair of custom cabs for my home office...I am that happy with them.
I played them for about 4 hours yesterday and will be playing them about 8 hours today. They are pretty much playing from when I get into work till it's about time to leave so I figure about 2-3 weeks, they should be broke in.
 
Drrr, didn't see that before. Those are new. When I got the kit it was there was no SOL. Cool looking driver though, wonder how the various kits compare? Wish there was some easy way to do so. Can't think of another speaker with the same box and three different drivers to try.
 
I really like the subwoofer idea. I'll have to give it a try as soon as my new cabs arrive.
 
I'm glad you like the sub idea. I come up with weird ideas all the time. Just the way I roll. :D

If you do end up doing that, keep us posted on how it adds to the 103's. I'm sure there's others out there that might want to augment the bass on their small driver setups.

I did some dirty calculating for the venting. To get down to 50hz on the sub driver in the spare cabinets, you need 4 vents, 1/2" inside diameter, at about 7.75" long per cabinet.

If I were doing this, I'd make them down firing with small feet (about 2" tall) on the face. All 4 ports would exit out the front. Using 4 would minimize port noise (chuffing).

I would also mount the sub amp in a separate box. There isn't enough (spare) volume in the boxes to have the amp in.

Just a suggestion. :D

Have Fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom