Hi All,
I wanted to add to the knowledge base here on a pretty rare console I was lucky to find recently. I am not sure yet what I will end up doing with it, but because there are so few of them, and there seem to be a few variants I thought I'd document it here for posterity.
A little while back I saw a listing some distance away for a Fisher console, looking at the photo's I realized what it was - unfortunately it was quite some distance from me and because of family health issues I wasn't able to go get it, but I happened to know a good friend was going to be that way and with lots of lots of cajoling I was able to convince him and his girlfriend to secure the console and bring it back.
The Fisher had been the seller's father's and had been in the family since purchased new, in a medium sized town's lawyer's office on the square near the courthouse. He indicated that he was getting sound output but only static - I was happy to hear that that might be relatively minor and that everything is probably still in good restore worthy condition.
Here are a few pictures:
The cabinetry is really quite amazing - I feel like I should be donning a smoking jacket and getting out a pipe and wingback chair
From what I've read here, the "z-matic" control on this one dates it to 1955
turntable is a Garrard RC80M, this looks like it will need a little work
The amplifier and power supply are the slightly later 360A and 360P, and the tube compliment seems to match the one mentioned here:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-fisher-ambassador-series-console-hs-360.725732/
Now, here's where it gets a little interesting, popped open the speaker compartment - I have to say there was a great degree of suspense, as I knew these came stock with a Jensen g601.....Nope, the owner had gone for what I understand from reading here was the upgrade apparently, and had a Stephens 206XA - there was however a Jensen crossover in use.
Later going back to do a little cleaning, I looked a little more closely and that Jensen crossover made more sense - hiding in the cabinet was an Jensen RP-302!
In reading all of the threads here, this was the first mention of a separate super tweeter being added in one of these that I had seen. From the mounting plate of the Jensen, it does seem as this was a factory installation and not added by the owner. Do folks know if this was something that was a factory possibility?
I've read through all the threads here and anywhere else I can find on these consoles and would love love to learn more - it does seem as if there are only a handful of them out there - I'm guessing that a fair percentage of those that were made have been chopped up for their constituent parts, so I'm glad I was able to "rescue" this one from that fate, had it been bought by a local flipper/entrepeneur.
I've added an album to my media here with a few more pictures, and will add to that as I take more in folks are interested, it can be seen here:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...custom-sixty-360-chassis-stephens-206xa.1580/
I wanted to add to the knowledge base here on a pretty rare console I was lucky to find recently. I am not sure yet what I will end up doing with it, but because there are so few of them, and there seem to be a few variants I thought I'd document it here for posterity.
A little while back I saw a listing some distance away for a Fisher console, looking at the photo's I realized what it was - unfortunately it was quite some distance from me and because of family health issues I wasn't able to go get it, but I happened to know a good friend was going to be that way and with lots of lots of cajoling I was able to convince him and his girlfriend to secure the console and bring it back.
The Fisher had been the seller's father's and had been in the family since purchased new, in a medium sized town's lawyer's office on the square near the courthouse. He indicated that he was getting sound output but only static - I was happy to hear that that might be relatively minor and that everything is probably still in good restore worthy condition.
Here are a few pictures:
The cabinetry is really quite amazing - I feel like I should be donning a smoking jacket and getting out a pipe and wingback chair
From what I've read here, the "z-matic" control on this one dates it to 1955
turntable is a Garrard RC80M, this looks like it will need a little work
The amplifier and power supply are the slightly later 360A and 360P, and the tube compliment seems to match the one mentioned here:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-fisher-ambassador-series-console-hs-360.725732/
Now, here's where it gets a little interesting, popped open the speaker compartment - I have to say there was a great degree of suspense, as I knew these came stock with a Jensen g601.....Nope, the owner had gone for what I understand from reading here was the upgrade apparently, and had a Stephens 206XA - there was however a Jensen crossover in use.
Later going back to do a little cleaning, I looked a little more closely and that Jensen crossover made more sense - hiding in the cabinet was an Jensen RP-302!
In reading all of the threads here, this was the first mention of a separate super tweeter being added in one of these that I had seen. From the mounting plate of the Jensen, it does seem as this was a factory installation and not added by the owner. Do folks know if this was something that was a factory possibility?
I've read through all the threads here and anywhere else I can find on these consoles and would love love to learn more - it does seem as if there are only a handful of them out there - I'm guessing that a fair percentage of those that were made have been chopped up for their constituent parts, so I'm glad I was able to "rescue" this one from that fate, had it been bought by a local flipper/entrepeneur.
I've added an album to my media here with a few more pictures, and will add to that as I take more in folks are interested, it can be seen here:
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...custom-sixty-360-chassis-stephens-206xa.1580/
