• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Found a whole hoard of vintage audio gear - need some advice on value

Hey guys, on my way home now after picking the stuff up, just posting on my phone so i cant get any pictures right now but i will soon. :)

anyway, i think the deal ended up being quite good. heres what i ended up with:

wharfedale w70
wharfedale w60
got that yamaha all in one music system, the one that has a turntable, built in receiver and tuner with the yamaha speakers to go with it
got a hitachi cassette player, nothing special but at least i can now play cassettes
got a pioneer sx-770 with a non-working tuner

and also he gave my wife a neat analog clock, one of those bedroom radio/clocks with the flipping numbers. pretty cool

got this entire haul for $250. i think i did fairly well!
 
OK just got home and unloaded this HUGE haul. God dang that was quite a workout!

All right so, here is the low-down. Pictures to come.. I'm a tired out dude here :)

The Wharfedale W60's are in rough shape cabinet and grill wise. They are gonna need some definite work done to them. All the drivers are fine, none are blown and it works well. Attenuator needs to be cleaned. These were $70.

The Wharedale W70's are in much better shape - scratches on them but no major nicks on 'em. These will clean up and restore very well, I know that. The fronts are in fantastic shape as well as the grills. These were the catch of the deal so I'm very happy these ended up working out. All drivers tested out fine - when I went to buy them, he couldn't get one of the speakers to produce any sound. So, I really hesitated because he wanted $150 for them! I was not going to buy them at that price. Anyway, we ended up down to $100 for them so I thought OK I will take a gamble at that price. Got 'em home, opened 'er up and guess what.. some wires were cut LOL so I know this is going to be an easy fix, all the drivers test well on the multi-meter! These puppies are with the fixed grill and port, so they're the early design. Very cool piece to have.

Next I got a Yamaha MS-2 with their original speakers. Got it for $50. Figured, why not? It's a good bedroom system. The damn thing is HEAVY. Looks very nice, quality all around and I imagine it will sound good too.

Also got a Pioneer SX-770. This is a fixer upper, for sure. Tuner is non-working and there is a very feint sound coming out of it. Not sure what the problem is, but this is perfect for me because I need to learn how to fix receivers.

Finally, I also got a Hitachi D-410 cassette player. I wanted this simply because I want to play cassettes. There's no other reason. Got this and the Pioneer for $30.

In total, I paid $250 for everything. I think I did quite well. The Wharfedales need some work, but the work is not expensive. Just lots of effort. The Pioneer, who knows, but it will be an excellent learning experience for me.

All in all I think I did quite well and I'm definitely happy with what I brought home. Even the wife thought I got a good deal. That has to count for something. :)
 
Last edited:
Sounds like you'll be busy!

You got that right!

Just finished soldering the wires back inside the one W70 and it is working beautifully. Just need to do a better solder job because the bass woofer isn't putting out as much bass as the right - it was a quick solder so I didn't expect it to be great. Regardless, the sound is VERY nice!
 
Back
Top Bottom