• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Found my long lost turntable! Now about the cartridge?

BilboBaggins

Addicted Member
Friday nights, my grandson stays the night with me. Last night, he was asking me if maybe I could try to find his Mom's original Pokemon cards, that was maybe in storage under the stairs. So i decided to crawl in there and see if I could find them. I was unsuccessful, but I did find a box labeled turntable. I was sure I hadn't sold my original turntable from the early 80s, but I hadn't yet found it. This box was at the very back, in the corner, past a myriad of spider webs and other like critters. I brought it out into the light and found that the box truly did hold my Yamaha P-350 belt drive turntable. It was very dirty with nicotine and tar stains, but it was complete with an undamaged stylus. I remembered that I put on a very nice Stanton cartridge, but couldn't remember what. In the 80s, after I bought my NAD 7240, I rediscovered all my old vinyl sounded at least as good as CDs of that time.

I took off the head shell and examined the cartridge. All it says is EE-2850 inscribed on the side, with a sticker written 189 on the front where the stylus fits. When I do a web search, nothing comes back when I put in Stanton EE-2850, or any variation. Does anyone know what I have?

Please forgive the poor quality phone pictures, but it was the fastest way to post this. Is this cartridge a keeper?image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
It's difficult to tell from that photo, but it's probably a Stanton 680/681 or Pickering XV-15. The "EE2850" may be a serial or batch number.

Could also be a Stanton 880/881 or Pickering XSV* series.
 
I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow afternoon. I agree, it does look like a 681. It surprises me that there are no identifying labels, but perhaps they came off over time. I don't think I've use the turntable much since the mid to late 80's, and I'm certain I stored some spare styli as I figured they would become unobtanium over time. Even the belt was in perfect condition! If only I could find those spare styli. A new quest.
 
Would the EE in the serial number indicate that the cartridge was originally equipped with a D6800-EE stylus? That would definitely identify it as a 681 then.
 
I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow afternoon. I agree, it does look like a 681. It surprises me that there are no identifying labels, but perhaps they came off over time. I don't think I've use the turntable much since the mid to late 80's, and I'm certain I stored some spare styli as I figured they would become unobtanium over time. Even the belt was in perfect condition! If only I could find those spare styli. A new quest.

Just clean the stylus and enjoy! :)
 
The 681 is the calibration 680 so it probably came with a 681 and getting a nice 6800 stylus will put you squarely in the Stanton 680 EE camp. All good. Can't get a calibration stylus as those were matched up with a cartridge. Finding a good D6800-EE would be a bit of work. Save that brush, the aftermaket brushes use boar bristles by comparison.
 
Nice!

I'll probably move the cartridge into my keeper turntables. I even have a spare head shell for the Yamaha PX-3.
 
Back
Top Bottom