• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Found some Klipsch Forte, need advice.

Picked up a pair...Tweeter horns???

I just picked up a pair of these at the "magic gw" After a little research picked out a low wattage amp (Harman Kardon 330c) for a test. The speakers sound amazing especially after they warm up a bit. The Mid horn sound great But, I am not sure if the tweeter horns are working. I played with the amp for a bit. No sound. Then pulled the screws on the tweeter horn and played with the wires. It sounded like there was a quick fire of a cymbal. but then it went away. Then pulled the crossover out for a quick look. Nothing out of the ordinary.

So could it be that the amp isn't powerful enough to fire the tweeters or could the crossover be in need of a recapp?

Thanks!
 
When I picked up my Fortes about two weeks ago I discovered no sound from the tweeters either. I had a spare that I tried and it still wouldn't work. I had Bob make me some crossovers and installed that with new titanium tweeters, they work. :) In my case it was both components bad as the tweeters tested as non working.

I just picked up a pair of these at the "magic gw" After a little research picked out a low wattage amp (Harman Kardon 330c) for a test. The speakers sound amazing especially after they warm up a bit. The Mid horn sound great But, I am not sure if the tweeter horns are working. I played with the amp for a bit. No sound. Then pulled the screws on the tweeter horn and played with the wires. It sounded like there was a quick fire of a cymbal. but then it went away. Then pulled the crossover out for a quick look. Nothing out of the ordinary.

So could it be that the amp isn't powerful enough to fire the tweeters or could the crossover be in need of a recapp?

Thanks!
 
You can get K-28s for $60 on that auction site from a Canadian seller. This would be your cheapest option. K-23 do show up also and sell from 30 to 60.

I would then do the titanium tweeters and new caps from Bob Crites.

I was lucky to AB (well abcde) the entire Klipsch line in 1985 and felt that after the klipschorn, the Fortes sounded the best.
 
Last edited:
Nice, I'm glad someone necromanced this thread! Reason being, I am the proud owner of these Forte-Squideroo's, plus additional woofers. Frankly, I am kind of ashamed that I've had these speakers since the 2010 AK Fest, and due to a change in living arrangements, I have only listened to them thrice. Of these three times, it wasn't until the 2nd, that I realized one of the crossover board is missing some caps, resulting in no sound from one of the horns. I've recently re-acquired a Heathkit AA-32, so whenever I can find a couple of ELC86 tubes to replace the 2 that are weak, I might have a suitable power plant for these babies.

Well, I've finally got the proverbial "Round Tuit", and I took some pic of the extra woofers, and was trying to make heads or tails of what I've got, and what I can part with, in order to offset crossover/binding post repair. So it looks like the woofers in the cabinets match, and I have one K28, and one K23. Now, I just need to read up on the recap and diaphragm upgrades. I also scored some oak veneer, which should take care of the few cabinet imperfections. I'm looking forward to hearing these babies sing, however far off in the distance that may be.
 
You can get K-28s for $60 on that auction site from a Canadian seller. This would be your cheapest option. K-23 do show up also and sell from 30 to 60.

I would then do the titanium tweeters and new caps from Bob Crites.

I was lucky to AB (well abcde) the entire Klipsch line in 1985 and felt that after the klipschorn, the Fortes sounded the best.

So I called Bob and he set me up with new titanium tweeters. Transaction was easy and to the point and got here a lot faster than I thought. So I studied the procedure for replacing these tweeters. "Looks easy" I think I spoke to soon...

Actually had to pull off the passive woofer and access the tweeter from the back and unscrew the mid horn in order to access the tweeter and perform the repair. The magnet on the speakers are huge and won't just pull out from the front. Plus the tweeter horn is just big enough that it won't pull out from the back either. So I had to unscrew the horn from the magnet while it was sitting in the tweeter hole. Then repeat the process without touching the titanium diaphragm! No easy task at all but, after about an hour I figured it out and successfully completed the repair. To my amazement the speaker really came to life! Thanks Bob!

Now If only I could find 1 speaker grill to complete the set that would be awesome! Although I think they seem to be pretty comfortable lounging around in the nude...Gorgeous speakers.
 
The tweeter and midrange will come out from the front. That is how Klipsch installed them at the factory. You just have to find the right angle and spot to take it out.

Bob Crites
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom