• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Found some mystery speakers

oceanplexian

New Member
Hi, I've been lurking here for the past few days and found you when I was Googling for reviews on the Tripath TA2024-based solid state amp.

Anyhow, this afternoon I picked up a pair of speakers at the local thrift store. I was trying to find some bookshelf speakers. I passed these over at first thinking "bah...cheap crappy 70s Japanese electronics". Then I picked them up and whoa, they were moderately heavy so I had to have them.

Anyhow, the catch? No markings whatsoever. I haven't ripped off the stapled (ugh) front cover to look at the speaker from the front. The back says "A quality product of Japan". They look to be well built, the inside was even lined with foam (removed in picture). If anything, I guess I could repurpose the box for a better quality speaker.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

2nkry34.jpg


fay81t.jpg


2n60qw.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice looking woofer and tweeter from the back side, anyway. And those cabinets look very well constructed, too. How do they sound?
 
I don't know yet how they sound. I'm actually in the middle of a move and don't have anything to test them with :-)

Thinking about building an enclosure and pairing them with something like 15-watt-4ohm-TA2024-D-class-Audio-Amplifier-Board. Same thing the Sonic Impact T-Amp is based on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
From looking at the box they look like mass produced Japanese speakers.
I have had several pairs similar in construction.
One set I have has RCA Drivers in them.
All of mine have sounded good for what they were.
I have not had any with that woofer design but I've seen every other design.
(early Yamaha maybe ??)
 
The tweeter looks seems to be Atomix (japan made ,similar units mase by Akai. Pioneer and others). Not sure abot the woofer.
 
If they sound crappy, try a full range woofer, that might be the answer, but I wouldn't know for sure. Just spouting off, really.
 
I have some Coral woofers that look exactly like that. Post the makings on that tweeter and i bet we can sort this out.
 
Back
Top Bottom