• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Found these on Craigslist, are they worth it? please help

Register to hide this ad
They're what are called "white van" speakers. I had a pair of those exact speakers that I picked up for $10 at a yard sale when I was in high school. They are terrible. I'm not trying to offend anybody, I just don't want any misinformation out there that these could be worth anything. They made pretty much anything I ran though them sound bad. And then the cabinets started to vibrate. Then my dad gave me his Realistic Mach Ones and things started to improve in my audio life. haha.
 
cool, the ad did seem on the dubious side. I haven't made any offers or anything, just wanted to know if they were worth getting. Thanks, guys! :)
 
Also..just noticed they're in Richmond. Hmmm...I left mine in Richmond. Maybe these are my old speakers?! I hate to think they lived that long. They look just like 'em.
 
IF you have NO speakers, and these work 100%, and there's minimal damage to the cabs, then for $10 they'd make a decent garage speaker, even a home speaker if they were really clean.... that is untill you find a really decent pair to listen to these will work in the meantime
 
DON'T travel more than 10miles one-way for em though unless you're really jonesin for sound
 
They will sound just as good as any cheap speaker made by Yamaha, JVC, Fisher, Sony, Pioneer, ECT. I have had them all.

And the woofer foam will outlast them all.:yes:

They sound better than the Mitsubishi speakers I have.

Yes, I have white van speakers.

The cabinets on mine have never rattled and I have had many a party with them. I had a pair of JVC speakers that the flimsy back rattled on.

If you need a pair of speakers, they are worth $10.

Rob
 
I'll give you that they sound better than most plastic boxes that attach to cheap all in ones. But not much. I don't know why anybody would not try to steer somebody away from these considering what else is often on Craigslist for just a little more money, especially somebody new here who, buying these speakers, could be turned off from the hobby thinking this is all vintage audio has to offer. And I disagree that they'd make decent garage speakers...why bother when there are hundreds of better speakers out there? A pair of Advent Utilities wouldn't go for much more than this.

With luck and $50, somebody new to this hobby could redefine the way they look at vintage audio equipment. Or for $10 they could think it's a bunch of crap.
 
NOBODY SAID THESE SPEAKERS WERE ALL THAT LOL!! NOBODY SAID THESE WERE 1/2 THAT!

I haven't seen a pair of speakers at ANY price at my local thrift in the last 6months that were better than those StereoNut79 posted.
 
I just looked through Richmond's craigslist. No, there's not much there...having lived there, I expected more as there's a decent music seen and I picked up some decent gear at garage sales. I have a bit of a different perspective, Chicago is gear heaven! That said, there is gear on there, it's just priced 'fairly', but no scores. There's a pair of Zenith Allegros for $20 that would sound good in a different cabinet...but you'd have to build a different cabinet or add better damping and bracing to the one that's there. It's also garage sale season. There was also a stereo dealer on Broad Street that dealt in high-end (audio visions?) that was a very decent guy, at least he was 10 years ago, and he had some decent stuff in his trade-in room. Not super cheap, but a good price on some of it. If you're down by Midlothian, there may be a place on the south side, too. I can't remember, though my parents lived in Powhaten. Good luck.
 
If you do decide to go get them, see if you can rent a white van for the pick-up.

I think that would really screw with their mind.
 
Back
Top Bottom