• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fountek Near Field Monitors

mystical

New Member
Hello everyone,

At first, I'm sorry for my bad english... I wasn't using it for a while and it got rough...

I want to show my latest work - Near Field Monitors. Some time ago I was
looking for a stereo set to my bedroom. I had small amount of money, so I
wasn't thinking about a new one. I've bought an old Yamaha CR-440. It needed new capacitors and bulbs and its casing was in terrible condition. I've
decided to restore it and make a set of speakers.

Everything had to be cheap and as good as it can be (isn't cheap the opposite of good?)

I've decided to buy Fountek speakers - Fw168 midwoofer and NeoCD1.0 Ribbon tweeter. It was cheap and the technical data was very promising.

Crossover:





Casing

16,3l inner volume, made of mdf 19mm thick (medium-density fibreboard),
veneer is palisander (to match bedroom's furniture), absorbing material is a
sheep's wool 2cm thick. Bassreflex 70mm wide 200mm long. Tuned to 45 Hz.

Sound

I was very surprised. High frequencies are perfect! High level of details
without roughness, medium frequencies are good, but can be better. I have a
feeling that it's a little behind the rest. I didn't expect powerfull bass.
In fact I didn't expect it at all. And... surprise! Madonna - Rain can
massage any stomach... Bass is quick, and well controlled.

Costs (calculated to US dollars)

I had veneer, capacitors, resistors, cables, screws, varnish and all the
tools.

loudspeakers - 200$
mdf - 17$
crossover elements - 48$
bulbs, bassreflex, wool, terminals - 25$

Total 290$ (I think it's a nice price)

If you managed to stumble through my broken english by some miracle, well
then, you have made my day!

Best regards from Poland!

Some pictures



























 
Register to hide this ad
Wow ! Nice work ! Where did you have the wood cut ? Do you have a shop ? I admier those who can do the work themself . Wish I could hear them .
 
... And photos in the bedroom, where they are going to stay forever...


























I have no idea where to put them, maybe under the ceiling? They can't stay like this. This is a wall which is at my disposal:








Thank you for all comments, I'm very glad you like my work!

Best regards to all
 
Back
Top Bottom