• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

fried speakers

Old thread, but WTH. Maybe someone will enjoy reading...

These were originally offered as part of the Fried Super Monitor, and later sold with the Model O Subwoofer. I worked for a dealer who sold the line in the late 70's. I got acquainted with Bud Fried a little back then. I was invited to his place in Philadelphia at one point, and got to listen to the prototype of the Super Monitor there. As I recall, he had an engineer named Rich Rosa working with him on the designs - but it was so long ago I could be wrong. I remember he had a son, Hank, who was working with the company too.

The speakers in the photo are the Model C/2. I don't think the original Model C used the Dynaudio tweeter. Also, the set in the photo have been updated. Over time, Bud modified the C/2 by first adding one vent hole in the front, then a short time later added the second vent.

Anyway, I built a set of the Super Monitors from kit way back when. I kept the subwoofers, but somehow made the stupid mistake of selling the satellites and regretted it since the day I did. I searched for another set for many, many years and finally found a set several months ago. They had a blown tweeter, but were otherwise perfect. I happened to have had a spare tweeter on hand, so this worked out perfectly.

They sound absolutely amazing, really. I've owned so many speakers (Quad, KEF, Tannoy, Dynaco, AR Classic, Vandersteen...) but these little babies are my outright favorite. So easy to listen to, very spacious sounding, and they image really well.

I feel quite fortunate to have them.
 
Old thread, but WTH. Maybe someone will enjoy reading...

These were originally offered as part of the Fried Super Monitor, and later sold with the Model O Subwoofer. I worked for a dealer who sold the line in the late 70's. I got acquainted with Bud Fried a little back then. I was invited to his place in Philadelphia at one point, and got to listen to the prototype of the Super Monitor there. As I recall, he had an engineer named Rich Rosa working with him on the designs - but it was so long ago I could be wrong. I remember he had a son, Hank, who was working with the company too.

The speakers in the photo are the Model C/2. I don't think the original Model C used the Dynaudio tweeter. Also, the set in the photo have been updated. Over time, Bud modified the C/2 by first adding one vent hole in the front, then a short time later added the second vent.

Anyway, I built a set of the Super Monitors from kit way back when. I kept the subwoofers, but somehow made the stupid mistake of selling the satellites and regretted it since the day I did. I searched for another set for many, many years and finally found a set several months ago. They had a blown tweeter, but were otherwise perfect. I happened to have had a spare tweeter on hand, so this worked out perfectly.

They sound absolutely amazing, really. I've owned so many speakers (Quad, KEF, Tannoy, Dynaco, AR Classic, Vandersteen...) but these little babies are my outright favorite. So easy to listen to, very spacious sounding, and they image really well.

I feel quite fortunate to have them.

Welcome to the forum.
The first model C did use the Dynaudio D-28H horn loaded dome tweeter.
DSC_0148.JPG

My son still listens to this pair.

Do you remember how Fried had several different versions of the first model C and O1?
I prefer the last Dalesford drivers which have a larger motor structure then the originals.
The first model O had a sealed dust cap and the last version had a porous dust cap.

I have one pair in the C3L and O4 enclosures using the Hiquphon tweeters with a series crossover circuit.
speakers 006 copy.jpg
 
Hi Jim.
I started to reply to this much much earlier and simply forgot to finish.
>>
I don't remember to O1, but I definitly remember the various revisions he made to the original Model C. He was a big fan of drilling vent holes in the front (lol). He did this on the Model B/2 and M/2 as well.

I bi-amp my setup, so I'm not using the crossover between the sub and the satellites.

I had a pair of M/2, and Bud told me the only practical difference between those and the SM was that the SM was designed to play at higher SPL. I found this not to be the case, as side-by-side comparison revaled that the SM outperformed the M/2 somewhat dramatically in the midrange.
And I absolutely am onboard with you about preferring the Dalesford drivers. It's a same they went out of business. The D300 woofers didn't age all that well and I've been on a quest to obtain suitable replacements. Closest driver I have found to the Dalesford in terms of TS params is the Dayton Audio D300 - which is surprisingly close, better in some aspects, and inexpensive. I might give those a shot at some point.

Cheers

Gene
 
Hi Jim.
I started to reply to this much much earlier and simply forgot to finish.
>>
I don't remember to O1, but I definitly remember the various revisions he made to the original Model C. He was a big fan of drilling vent holes in the front (lol). He did this on the Model B/2 and M/2 as well.

I bi-amp my setup, so I'm not using the crossover between the sub and the satellites.

I had a pair of M/2, and Bud told me the only practical difference between those and the SM was that the SM was designed to play at higher SPL. I found this not to be the case, as side-by-side comparison revaled that the SM outperformed the M/2 somewhat dramatically in the midrange.
And I absolutely am onboard with you about preferring the Dalesford drivers. It's a same they went out of business. The D300 woofers didn't age all that well and I've been on a quest to obtain suitable replacements. Closest driver I have found to the Dalesford in terms of TS params is the Dayton Audio D300 - which is surprisingly close, better in some aspects, and inexpensive. I might give those a shot at some point.

Cheers

Gene


It's almost impossible to find any NOS Fried Dalesford drivers.
There is an eBay seller that has some of the stock D153/50 drivers.
The price is is very high.
143986783871
The oem Fried versions are far superior to the stock versions.
 
Thanks. I saw those a while back and made an offer but the seller still wanted way too much, especially after shipping is added in.

I like that woofer with the big ears in your signature photo!
 
Back
Top Bottom