• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

frustrated with my C220 !

C220MC275

Duke,Louis,Ella,Oscar...
Hi friends,

Strange story :

My 220 was bought in may 2007.
In november 2007, the display went crazy. The volume indication was OK, but
the source indication was a kind of precivilized symbols and the phono input was not working. Anyway, the sound of the other sources was still perfect.
Returned it to my dealer. The Distributor in Holland ordered a new microprocessor and installed it. The tubes were OK. I got it back in january 2008, working fine.
Today : guess what ? same story !! I powered it on and an I have the same symbols. One source though is still written correctly : "SAT".
The phono does not work again. Sound is OK.

So my question is : do you know where Mc have these chips made ? are they made in China for 20 $ :scratch2: ??
I was a bit upset to hear that the transport of my 201, a bit noisy of course, but acceptable, is made in Korea. For this price, it's a bit strange. Apparently, this has been corrected with the new 301.
I heard that the transport of the MCD1000 is the same as the Linn Ikemi and the 301 would be done also by Linn. Anyway, I'm concerned only by the sound and the 201 is a delight to me so I don't really care where the transport is made. But with the troubles I get with the 220 I would only ask this question :

Is there a reliable problem with Mac entry level products :tears: ?
Any thoughts ?
Ron ?

Thanks in advance,

Jerome
 

Attachments

  • P1000912.JPG
    P1000912.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 58
  • P1000913.JPG
    P1000913.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 45
  • P1000915.JPG
    P1000915.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 49
Register to hide this ad
Sounds like it needs a master reset, call or email service at the factory to get the button combination to get the reset, had same problem with a C2200 and this was the cure.
 
Master Reset

Sounds like it needs a master reset, call or email service at the factory to get the button combination to get the reset, had same problem with a C2200 and this was the cure.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your answer !
I forgot to tell that : there is the master reset code in the owner's manual.
I did it and it did not work.

Best regards
Jérôme
 
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your answer !
I forgot to tell that : there is the master reset code in the owner's manual.
I did it and it did not work.

Best regards
Jérôme

Jerome, I had the same problem - following some AC disturbances (brownout, power surge, etc.), the manual reset did not fix the problem, but I called Mc support and they gave me another reset sequence that's undocumented (for some odd reason).

I tried this sequence and it fixed the problem. Here it is:

Press and hold "Tone Bypass" and "Output 2" at the same time for a few seconds.

Please try it and let us know.

Good luck!

Alberto
 
Bingo !!!!

Jerome, I had the same problem - following some AC disturbances (brownout, power surge, etc.), the manual reset did not fix the problem, but I called Mc support and they gave me another reset sequence that's undocumented (for some odd reason).

I tried this sequence and it fixed the problem. Here it is:

Press and hold "Tone Bypass" and "Output 2" at the same time for a few seconds.

Please try it and let us know.

Good luck!

Alberto


:banana::banana::banana:

Hi Alberto,

Thank you so much : it worked !!!

Funny because last time I called McIntosh and they did not tell me anything about this sequence of reset !
More strange :
I just learned from my friend jmajma that an other guy had the same problem with its 220, bought new from Audio Classics.
Audio Classics gave him an address for repair in Paris and the repair has been been "paid by AudioClassics" !! I wonder how much did they pay for that !!
I wonder why my Holland distributor kept the C220 for one month and changed the microprocessor !!
Very strange indeed, if a simple reset like that fixes the problem.

You're a chief Alberto : thank you so much !!!

Best Wishes

Jérôme
 
:banana::banana::banana:

Hi Alberto,

Thank you so much : it worked !!!

Funny because last time I called McIntosh and they did not tell me anything about this sequence of reset !
More strange :
I just learned from my friend jmajma that an other guy had the same problem with its 220, bought new from Audio Classics.
Audio Classics gave him an address for repair in Paris and the repair has been been "paid by AudioClassics" !! I wonder how much did they pay for that !!
I wonder why my Holland distributor kept the C220 for one month and changed the microprocessor !!
Very strange indeed, if a simple reset like that fixes the problem.

You're a chief Alberto : thank you so much !!!

Best Wishes

Jérôme

I love this place:tresbon::tresbon::tresbon:
 
:banana::banana::banana:

Hi Alberto,

Thank you so much : it worked !!!
...

Jérôme

That's great Jerome! I am REALLY happy for you and glad I could help, because I was also very frustrated when it happened to me.

I can imagine the smile on your face and the feeling of relief and it's giving me a smile too.

I received a lot of help from people in this forum it's nice to have a chance to return the favor once in a while.

>You're a chief Alberto

Thanks for the compliment, but I think it's not me being chief but someone else in the store/support chain being a bit uninformed. Having said that, I'll let you buy me a glass of Bordeaux if we get to meet someday :D.

Gotta love this forum ...

Ciao,

Alberto
 
Not a glass of Bordeaux...

That's great Jerome! I am REALLY happy for you and glad I could help, because I was also very frustrated when it happened to me.

I can imagine the smile on your face and the feeling of relief and it's giving me a smile too.

I received a lot of help from people in this forum it's nice to have a chance to return the favor once in a while.

>You're a chief Alberto

Thanks for the compliment, but I think it's not me being chief but someone else in the store/support chain being a bit uninformed. Having said that, I'll let you buy me a glass of Bordeaux if we get to meet someday :D.

Gotta love this forum ...

Ciao,

Alberto

Hi Alberto,

not a glass of Bordeaux, but a full dinner in a 3 star Michelin Restaurant in Paris !!!

Yes, this place is really great !

I will subscribe tomorrow !

Let me know when you'll come to Paris !

Jérôme
 
I should have mentioned that 'Reset' and 'Master Reset' are not the same, reset just restarts the processor, master reset wipes preset memory and puts it back to factory presets. Power glitches sometimes require the master wipe out reset to clear bad data, this is the reset you have to use after a new software download...
 
My computer, an RS232 1 to 1 cable, and software available to McIntosh dealers and authorized repair shops, from the service department or online.
 
The Vulcan death grip (tone bypass + output 2) described by Alberto above also rests my c2300. This is a great tip. Thanks!

I wish Mc would make their firmware upgrades available via download from their site. I suspect many of us could install the upgrades ourselves.
 
Back
Top Bottom