• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fun project: Creating an illustration of SX-1980’s front panel

Heller

Active Member
Hi, everybody!

The look of that amazing model was kind of haunting me for quite some time, so I finally decided to try to »re-create« the front panel view as an illustration. Isometric (or orthogonal) view, that is.

As I failed to find any truly reliable image of the SX-1980 front panel so far – no angle distortion, just a direct-into-the-face view image – I have my difficulties with placing all the elements at their exact right position.

My hope is that some members here, possibly just owning an example of that monster unit, could make a good photo of it for me :biggrin:

Thanks –
Heller
 
Register to hide this ad
There's plenty of images on the internet.

And for anyone photographing their SX-1980 and attaching the image to this thread, consider ensuring no personal image location data is embedded in the .exif/image file...
 
It seems that none of them feature an isometric view of the unit; they basically all show it looking from an angle.
I understand that, but the receiver is so big, you really need to take the shot on an angle to show scale and not show too much other stuff in the picture.

You need to put one in a white background photo booth with a diffused light source and shoot it square on, no flash and a non-distorting lens/DSLR.

I had an SX-1250 and an SX-1980 at my place only a few weeks ago and let me tell you, it's hard to get good shots of it (I photographed the units prior to them going into their transport crates for insurance purposes if anything happened in transit).

1766305392227.jpeg
 
Looks like they were in very good shape :yikes:

I believe the best photo conditions for my »isometric needs« would contain a pretty large distance between object and camera plus a high quality tele lens.
 
Thanks for pointing me to that image. It seems to be part of a print ad that I even rebuilt some 5 years ago :cool: Which is why I know it is not accurate enough for my current project.

1766334015926.png
 
Very nice. This reminds me of dynamic phone skins that were created years back by a guy in Russia (AIMP) for listening to mp3's on Windows & Android. I had one of an RT-707, all the relevant functions worked. Yours would be cool to have as a player interface on a tablet.

Edit: I just looked him up and he's still going strong. They have developer tools for you to create dynamic skins.
 
Last edited:
Here we go …

Wood-veneer panels left + right (non-vectors) and front feet. No idea about the correct height of those feet whatsoever :rolleyes:

The hardest part is still ahead: That »under glass vision« of the top half of the front panel ...

Pio SX-1980 WIP.jpg
 
Additional fun fact:

I have a real live SX-450 Made in Japan unit right next to me (I replaced the original side panels with pure maple-wood ones a while ago):

Ahorn-bestückt_5.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom