• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Funny--But Not So Funny--What Was GM Thinking?

My better half's son drives this piece of **** Pontiac where the roofline is so low that the power windows need to roll down an inch or so to clear the roof.
I don't understand, you mean the window has to be rolled down to open or close the door??
 
Too much technology .
If the operator doesn't notice the labels indicating the release in 14 hours of being trapped the labels are either poorly designed or the owner isn't very observant.
Common sense would be to put a manual release on the door like every other car made . Over engineered and not human friendly .
 
That is not why they roll down. It is there to enable pillarless windows that make a better seal when the door is shut.

Yes, and more models use them than many realize. Both my 2009 Stang and my current 2017 have the same feature. Not only could this become an issue with a dead battery, but just how long before failure from the window needing to inch up and down "every time" the door is opened lol?
 
I don't understand, you mean the window has to be rolled down to open or close the door??

Yes they do, when the door handle is activated the window inches down a bit, when the door is closed the window automatically goes back up. The first time I noticed this with my Stang I thought I was seeing things lol, had to open and close the door a few times to confirm what I see as a ridiculous idea.
 
I can't stand automatic locking doors on cars. I always disable them if I can. I drive a van for work, and I can't tell you how many times I have stopped the vehicle, gotten out without turning the engine off (which would unlock all the doors) and gone all the way around the van to find the back doors locked.

It seems like in a lot of modern vehicles, there is a lot missing in the design department. Design deals with how a product interacts with a person. It can often be subtle, and when it is good, you hardly notice it. (Thus the excellent design podcast 99% Invisible) But when it's bad, it stinks. The van I drive is full of bad design. Simple things like the way the sliding side door handle works. It's not designed to smoothly operate by a human body, especially when you have to use it 20-30 time a day.

This Cadillac story is a perfect example. Although, there is definitely some user error here. Keep the manual in the car. Most drivers today of newer cars understand a very small fraction of the features in their car, which is not surprising considering the complexity of these machines.

And also, don't most people carry cell phones these days? That would have solved this particular problem in a few minutes...
 
UPDATE: XLR emergency release below.

8889190d8e717b1064afa32e8182c7dd.png

We have a 2016 SRX, and I don't see a release anywhere. Do you know where it it? I didn't see anything in the manual.
 
We have a 2016 SRX, and I don't see a release anywhere. Do you know where it it? I didn't see anything in the manual.

My guess is the SRX is equipped with a door latch mechanism that doesn't require electrical power when operated by the interior handle. That's how it was on an STS that I had. Electrical power is needed when the exterior door handle is used however. If there is no battery power, the key is used to operate the door latch/lock to open the door.
 
Last edited:
My guess is the SRX is equipped with a door latch mechanism that doesn't require electrical power when operated by the interior handle. That's how it was on an STS that I had. Electrical power is needed when the exterior door handle is used however. If the battery is dead, the latch may be operated by the key manually to open the door.

I believe the Stang operates the same way, but I still see this opening and closing putting undue wear on the electric window hardware.
 
I've had frameless windows that don't do that and I've had ones that do. The latter were much less likely to have wind noise leakage.

Never been a fan of frameless windows for exactly that reason. Tons of 80s GM products had this, and they all got rattly and leaky after a while as the seals compressed and hardened.
 
Right in the article:

Operator error. It is labeled. Whether or not it's labelled clearly enough is up for debate.

In other words - RTFM, eh. Every car with that sort of system will have an emergency release located within easy reach of the driver. Here's the one on the exact car involved here, located beside the driver's seat base.

cts-door-release.jpg


And ya - as with most of these things, the label requires a bit of interpretation. Then again, how many folk take the time to learn their vehicles, what with all the switches and indicator lamps? Most of them DO use a standard symbol. This one actually looks sort of like a car with a door open, and an arrow pointing towards freedom.

Oh - and here's a clue - if you don't see a manual door handle inside, all the more incentive to find out WTF, eh.

PLAN B:

Hammer-Multi-Tool-Glass-window-Breaker-Car.jpg_350x350.jpg


PLAN C:

Model-629-Deluxe-44-Magnum-6-5-Inch-Barrel-Satin-Stainless-Finish-Adjustable-White-Outline-Rear-Sig-022188141566_image1__19303.1505817758.600.600.jpg
 
Last edited:
No matter how well thought-out or foolproof something can be made, there will always be an individual or an unforeseeable chain of circumstances which can turn it into something with harmful or deadly consequences.
"

This is indeed true. Decades ago, I purchased a 27" CRT TV, and on the power cord was a large label warning me not to attempt to balance it on the edge of a bathtub or hot tub and to not use it in or near a shower. You know the only reason that tag was on there was because someone actually did it and sued--idiots.
 
BMW has had models (2-door and convertibles) with the sealing frameless windows for over 20-years. Even in the showroom if a car has a dead battery the doors will still open. It might take an additional push but they'll open and close, albeit the poor fit will be obvious enough to tell you something's wrong, even before noticing the car won't start, but the doors will still open and close.

This tool works easier than the life-hammer and is smaller, too. It will break a piece of tempered auto glass with one push and costs under $4 at Harbor Freight:
image_24936.jpg
 
they're also just damned handy to have around. Need to drill a hole in a specific spot? give it a bump with the punch and the drill bit won't walk.
 
For things other than doors, I'll agree. Doors should operate in an intuitive enough manner that anyone can use them at any time without having to research it. I don't expect passengers to read the manual or attend a pre-drive safety briefing on how to exit the car in an emergency. For this case I don't see a difference between a building and a car. Its a box with a person or persons inside. The only sort of box with people inside that shouldn't be easily exited is a coffin. Heck, they even hang glow in the dark pull tags inside trunks now so you can get out.


Couple of lawsuits and we'll all have big labled emergency handles and lit exit signs. Then they'll recall those because they catch fire or cause people to spill their hot Starbucks.
 
or just have one handle that is used under all conditions so there is no need to remember where the backup is hidden.
 
But it won't cut a seat-belt.
The need to cut the seat belt is usually that of the EMTs and rescue workers. They don't waste time looking for the latch push-button. You and your passengers should already know where the releases are if you buckled your belts just before you ran the car into the river.
 
This tool works easier than the life-hammer and is smaller, too. It will break a piece of tempered auto glass with one push and costs under $4 at Harbor Freight:
image_24936.jpg

Hey - I got one of those! It's a "spring punch" used for dimpling metal and setting drill bits so they don't walk when you fire em up. Never occurred to me that it would break glass, but seems reasonable as it's a mighty small contact area and packs a pretty good punch.
 
Back
Top Bottom