• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Fuse Question regarding Olson tube receiver

Kingfisher

Well-Known Member
Having recently scored an Olson RA-655 receiver. I found the fuse to be the wrong value. It's a 5A 250v fuse. Way too high for 4 X 6GW8's. Schematics for this receiver seem to be unobtainium so I have a lot of guess work. Wouldn't the correct fuse be closer to 2A?
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know what that receiver uses but for tube receivers, there are around 2 to 3 amp slo blo.
 
I think a 2 amp fuse would be just about right. The tube integrated amps that size all draw about the same current from the wall. 2 amps will run the amp just fine, and open up if there is a problem.
 
Does it happen to have a wattage rating sticker? Divide that by 120 to get max used current, round up to the nearest reasonable size fuse. 2-3 amp is probably right on target tough.
 
2A slo-blo is about right. My Fisher 800C called for 3.2A, with an inrush limiter added it runs fine with 2.5A. Kenwood KW-30 and KW-33 (both p-p 6BM8s) used 2A fuse.
 
2A slo-blo is about right. My Fisher 800C called for 3.2A, with an inrush limiter added it runs fine with 2.5A. Kenwood KW-30 and KW-33 (both p-p 6BM8s) used 2A fuse.
Yes I did see that on the KW-33 schematic. Also, the Pioneer SX-34 uses a 2A fuse as well. So I think I'll be going with a 2A slo-blo. 6BM8's are not the same as 6GW8's, but they are so similar, I can't see why it wouldn't be 2A.

Now I have to find a bayonet-base dial lamp. The original one is unmarked, but I suspect it is either 8volt 150mA or 8volt 300mA. Japanese manufacturers seem to have preferred 8-volt dial and panel lights.
 
Does it happen to have a wattage rating sticker? Divide that by 120 to get max used current, round up to the nearest reasonable size fuse. 2-3 amp is probably right on target tough.
No stickers or anything on the back. No serial number. Even the metal nameplate is missing that gives the name, model, and company location (Akron, OH). I'm goin' with a 2A based on other Japanese 6BM8p-p receivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom