Maybe this tip is well known. Has anyone else tried this?
I'm fussy about how my speakers look. I've cleaned up speakers where the fabric or similar material covering the grill frames had been worn off on the corners or along the edges. It was very noticeable. Sort of like "brassing" on well used old-school 35mm cameras.
So the cosmetic cover-up trick I came up with was to get some "flocking" powder -- the stuff sold to car upholstery repair people, model railroaders and various craftspeople and artists."
My threadbare grills were black, so I got black flocking (sometimes called "velour flocking." I've also used "detail embossing powder," which appears to be the same stuff, just marketed to craftspeople who use slow-drying ink for whatever.
I applied some glue that would dry clear and not glossy (sorry, can't remember which fabric-friendly glue I used), and applied it to the areas where the black material was missing or too thin. While the glue is wet, you sprinkle a pinch of flocking onto the glue. Let it dry, then gently brush off any excess flocking.
The flock-covered areas now look exactly like the rest of the grill cloth -- same color, same apparent texture, same mat finish.
I wish I'd taken before and after photos.
All I can tell you is it works. I suppose in some cases it would also hide stains or paint specks, etc.
I've only needed to use black flocking, but I've seen it available on line in several different colors -- www.detailmaster.com and www.craftflocking.com are two places I've purchased it from.
...Am I the only freak who's done this, or does anyone else admit to using this trick?
...Is there a better trick anyone recommends for worn-off grill cloth spots?
I'm fussy about how my speakers look. I've cleaned up speakers where the fabric or similar material covering the grill frames had been worn off on the corners or along the edges. It was very noticeable. Sort of like "brassing" on well used old-school 35mm cameras.
So the cosmetic cover-up trick I came up with was to get some "flocking" powder -- the stuff sold to car upholstery repair people, model railroaders and various craftspeople and artists."
My threadbare grills were black, so I got black flocking (sometimes called "velour flocking." I've also used "detail embossing powder," which appears to be the same stuff, just marketed to craftspeople who use slow-drying ink for whatever.
I applied some glue that would dry clear and not glossy (sorry, can't remember which fabric-friendly glue I used), and applied it to the areas where the black material was missing or too thin. While the glue is wet, you sprinkle a pinch of flocking onto the glue. Let it dry, then gently brush off any excess flocking.
The flock-covered areas now look exactly like the rest of the grill cloth -- same color, same apparent texture, same mat finish.
I wish I'd taken before and after photos.
All I can tell you is it works. I suppose in some cases it would also hide stains or paint specks, etc.
I've only needed to use black flocking, but I've seen it available on line in several different colors -- www.detailmaster.com and www.craftflocking.com are two places I've purchased it from.
...Am I the only freak who's done this, or does anyone else admit to using this trick?
...Is there a better trick anyone recommends for worn-off grill cloth spots?