• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

g-3000 blown channel - Solved

rickl

I'm just a bass player
Subscriber
I have a G-3000 with right channel blown. This had blown outputs, missing transistors and blown resistors. All fuseable resistors have either been replaced or measure correctly.

I can't get the bias set. measuring across R70/2 measured 0v.

Left channel is working (bias set, DC offset 5mV, looks good on a scope).
Right channel signal is lower than left channel at 8 ohm load and is distorted (not clipping).

Selection_088.png

I've replaced these blown or missing transistors:
outputs TR16/18 with mje15032/3
drivers TR12/14 with ksa1013/ksc2383
bias transistor TR10 with ksc945
TR08 with ksc2383
TR06 ksa992
IC02 with a matched pair of ksa992

electrolytic caps replaced

TR14 base -.367 (should be -1.2V), emitter .07v (-0.6V)
TR12 similar
R56/8 junction measures 19v (18.5V)

I also replaced TR19 (voltage pass transistor for R55/56 voltages).

B+ is 32v (should be 28), B- -32 (-28v). This seems close enough and the left channel is working with these voltages.

Some say (kevin?) the outputs will oscillate and so I've ordered KSB1017YTU/KSD1408YTU. they haven't arrived to verify.

I have a scope, DBT, signal generator and a few DVMs.

I can provide voltage measurements and scope pics if it helps.

I'm kind of stuck.

UPDATE:
The amp is working. here are the transistors i used:
outputs TR16/18 with KSB1017YTU/KSD1408YTU
drivers TR12/14 with ksa1013/ksc2383
bias transistor TR10 with ksc1845
TR08 with ksc2383
TR06 ksa992
IC02 with a matched pair of ksa992
electrolytics replaced
replaced fuseable resistors R67/8 100R,R91 22R, R69-72 220R, R73-76 6.8R with MF
TR19 replaced with a to-220 NPN

replaced preamp naughty transistors
TR01/2 KSA992
TR03/4 KSC1845
C01/2 2.2uF Wima
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
where are you measuring for the bias? should be across R78/80. But if you were measuring across R70 and 72 you still should be seeing about 1.2V.

Hows the installation of TR10? I seem to recall that the 2SC945 and KSC945 have a different pinout, unless you have the special KSC945C variant.
 
bias measured across R78/80.

I'll verify the KSC945 pin out. There was a 2n5550(?) in there when I got it.

Thanks for your response
 
I'm so happy that Prince posted. The bias transistors (TR09/10) are a center collector (ECB) and I'm using EBC devices.

here is a snip of the board layout

g3000-pcb.png

I hope to replace the transistor tomorrow and see if that helps or I have other problems.

Thanks again!
 
got TR10 replaced with a 2n2240 (ECB). I probably could have used a ksc1845. this fixed the bias problem. Thanks again Prince. I need to check voltages but I'm hopeful.

right channel is still low, and no preamp output so i'm going to replace the TR01/2 2sa726 and TR03/4 2sc1313 since they are on the naughty list. this was working so more review is needed.
 
Glad that helped. Don't ask me how I know about that pinout but it definitely involved blowing up an unobtanium jfet in an amp I was repairing.

The G-3000 is well worth saving. I had one years ago that I used at the computer desk and that 26W/ch will rock the office when paired with reasonably efficient speakers.
 
Not sure if its helpful but I recently repaired a g3000. Heres the parts list I used and its working well now.

Be mindful of the pinout of the a726 and c1313 as the replacements are different.
 

Attachments

  • 20261003_183229.jpg
    20261003_183229.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom