Captain Slack
Active Member
I play my records on a Technics SL-D2 which is hook into a Sansui G4700. Had this particular setup for years and it's never given me any trouble until a few weeks ago. Out of the blue, I started getting a hum when I listened to records. No sign of it on the radio. Nudging or tapping on the TT would cause it to clear up temporarily. Felt to me like a something was grounded properly.
So, I pulled the whole system apart and set it up on the kitchen table where I could get a better look at it. As I expected, there was no more humming. Took it apart and put it back in it's place only to find the G4700 wasn't powering on! Pulled it apart a second time and realizes stupid me had plugged it in while it was still powered on. As a result, a fuse had blown.
Of course, I didn't have any replacements of the proper value on hand. Luckily, there was a still a Rat Shack open not terribly far away. The tag near the fuse holder called for 5A @ 125V or 2.5A @250V. Picked up both just in case.
Unfortunately, both values are still blowing when I switch the receiver on. Obviously I have a bigger problem here. Any suggestions on how to track it down? I took the cover and and looked for any blown caps or other fried parts, but everything looked good.
I bought this unit at a hamfest 3-4 years ago. At that time, it was also blowing fuses. With the help of some friends, discovered one of the voltage regulator chips was bad. Think that may have happened again? If so, what could be causing those them to die?
So, I pulled the whole system apart and set it up on the kitchen table where I could get a better look at it. As I expected, there was no more humming. Took it apart and put it back in it's place only to find the G4700 wasn't powering on! Pulled it apart a second time and realizes stupid me had plugged it in while it was still powered on. As a result, a fuse had blown.
Of course, I didn't have any replacements of the proper value on hand. Luckily, there was a still a Rat Shack open not terribly far away. The tag near the fuse holder called for 5A @ 125V or 2.5A @250V. Picked up both just in case.
Unfortunately, both values are still blowing when I switch the receiver on. Obviously I have a bigger problem here. Any suggestions on how to track it down? I took the cover and and looked for any blown caps or other fried parts, but everything looked good.
I bought this unit at a hamfest 3-4 years ago. At that time, it was also blowing fuses. With the help of some friends, discovered one of the voltage regulator chips was bad. Think that may have happened again? If so, what could be causing those them to die?